Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Hats (Not typical noob question lol)

Hats (Not typical noob question lol)

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Hats (Not typical noob question lol)

Postby Lineages » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:26 am

Wellll, I've ALWAYS had trouble with hats in general. I rarely get the swingy vibe I want... and it's not because of my patterns, but my samples!

Can anyone give some tips on the best way (and quickest, preferably :lol: ) to find hats that match well, or what to do to hats that sound close, but just don't quite sound RIGHT together?
God, I probably sound retarded... I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say lol.
http://soundcloud.com/lineages/sets/good-shit-13/

Free EP. Click it, click it, click it:
Lineages

Re: Hats (Not typical noob question lol)

Postby Stealth Elf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:52 am

I think I get you man. 3 tips for garage hats.

1: Experiment with different ways of EQing. This one might seem obvious but when I make garage I EQ my hats totally differently to if I were making dubstep or DnB etc. Just try a few different techniques till you find the sweet spot.

2: ADSR! Most specifically give the little buggers some attack. Can work wonders on making a hat that's "not quite there" feel a bit more 'splashy' and garage-esque.

3: Record them yourself. If you have a mic lying around your studio get it set up and record yourself making loads of 'Chsshs' sounds etc. You'd be surprised how many of the drum hits in my songs were originally cut out of my beatbox recordings ;)

Hope some of that helps :)
Stealth Elf

Postby Lineages » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:41 am

The last tip I've thought of doing a bunch of times, but I just never do! I need to. Thanks for reminding me. Haha :-D
As for the rest of those tips, I do those. But maybe I just need to get better at those particular things.

Lineages

Postby gnome » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:30 am

Go sampling some of your favourite hat patterns. I always find great hat progressions from dub tracks.

If you're using Ableton the "slice to new midi track" is very handy for this as you can mark out where the hats hit then have the progression in midi format.
gnome

Postby Whyrez » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Easiest suggestion for UKG hats is to get 909 samples and just alter the pitch (pretty much always up for the 'authentic' sound)/adjust the sample lengths to get them really choppy... That's basically how it went in the Ollllddd schoool... That's for the really 'authentic' sounding UKG hat sounds, try out the same techniques on other hat samples and have a similar effect but with a bit of originality :)

Try the same thing to get choppy snares/rims... Apply a little reverb, shorten the tail and then compress (preferably with a compressor with a nice bit of character) to get them punchier. You can always apply a bit of reverb again afterwards if you want a reverb tail :P

As for patterns... For 4x4 UKG stuff work on the offbeat, usually an open hat... Everything else you can go mental with, just make sure you utilise the swing and try to keep the same swing amount on all of the drums...

For 2 Step stuff, sometimes it's cool to break up the offbeats (not have the hats on every upbeat as you would on 4x4), 2 Step is really just all about breaking up the 4x4 or everything... Pulling random hats out from a standard 4x4 pattern, inserting new ones in slightly obscure places...

Obviously all of this is completely 'as a rule' to get the authentic sounds, it's all about experimenting from there to get your own sound as always :) Hope this helps!

Oh and as a personal bit of advice... I find it easier to play hat patterns in rather than sequence them (I play in all of my drums) but I think that really helps to get more of a groove going and not just clicking rigid buttons.
Whyrez

Postby Stealth Elf » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Whyrez wrote:Oh and as a personal bit of advice... I find it easier to play hat patterns in rather than sequence them (I play in all of my drums) but I think that really helps to get more of a groove going and not just clicking rigid buttons.

I wish I could work that way. I just cannae play good enough :\
Stealth Elf

Postby Whyrez » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:17 pm

Stealth Elf wrote:
Whyrez wrote:Oh and as a personal bit of advice... I find it easier to play hat patterns in rather than sequence them (I play in all of my drums) but I think that really helps to get more of a groove going and not just clicking rigid buttons.

I wish I could work that way. I just cannae play good enough :\

Haha I don't play them all together I just bash the keys and then quantise to a swing :)
Whyrez

Postby Lineages » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:01 am

Whyrez wrote:Easiest suggestion for UKG hats is to get 909 samples and just alter the pitch (pretty much always up for the 'authentic' sound)/adjust the sample lengths to get them really choppy... That's basically how it went in the Ollllddd schoool... That's for the really 'authentic' sounding UKG hat sounds, try out the same techniques on other hat samples and have a similar effect but with a bit of originality :)

Try the same thing to get choppy snares/rims... Apply a little reverb, shorten the tail and then compress (preferably with a compressor with a nice bit of character) to get them punchier. You can always apply a bit of reverb again afterwards if you want a reverb tail :P

As for patterns... For 4x4 UKG stuff work on the offbeat, usually an open hat... Everything else you can go mental with, just make sure you utilise the swing and try to keep the same swing amount on all of the drums...

For 2 Step stuff, sometimes it's cool to break up the offbeats (not have the hats on every upbeat as you would on 4x4), 2 Step is really just all about breaking up the 4x4 or everything... Pulling random hats out from a standard 4x4 pattern, inserting new ones in slightly obscure places...

Obviously all of this is completely 'as a rule' to get the authentic sounds, it's all about experimenting from there to get your own sound as always :) Hope this helps!

Oh and as a personal bit of advice... I find it easier to play hat patterns in rather than sequence them (I play in all of my drums) but I think that really helps to get more of a groove going and not just clicking rigid buttons.

Haha, thanks for all the advice bruv!
Unfortunately, I knew most of the pattern stuff, that's why I added in the original post that it wasn't about my patterns. :lol:

The first part of your post was relevant, though... I think I'll try that. Maybe I just need to stop getting random samples, and get actual packs, like a 909 pack. Because typically the hats in the pack are meant to be together, so they sound good together.

Lineages

Postby Whyrez » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:19 am

Shouldn't really make a difference mate they all originate from metal plates either clashing together or being hit by a stick :twisted: Just fiddle with the pitch and sample length until they sound like they fit together better! Quite often a nice out of place sticking out hat doesn't sound bad either :lol:
Whyrez

Postby 3za » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Whyrez wrote:they all originate from metal plates either clashing together or being hit by a stick :twisted:

Even if I make my hats going, "tssst tssst tssst tsssssshht" into a mic :-p
3za

Postby Whyrez » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:00 pm

3za wrote:
Whyrez wrote:they all originate from metal plates either clashing together or being hit by a stick :twisted:

Even if I make my hats going, "tssst tssst tssst tsssssshht" into a mic :-p

Haah but that's not a hat, that's an impression of a hat.

Anyway, I wear my hat ever so slightly to the right. Have a preference for tweed trilby's :)
Whyrez

Postby Stealth Elf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:20 pm

Whyrez wrote:Have a preference for tweed trilby's :)

I literally just lost all respect for you...
Stealth Elf

Postby Whyrez » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Stealth Elf wrote:
Whyrez wrote:Have a preference for tweed trilby's :)

I literally just lost all respect for you...

Ssshut ya mout, tweed is badman. 8-)
Whyrez

Postby Lineages » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:08 am

Whyrez wrote:Shouldn't really make a difference mate they all originate from metal plates either clashing together or being hit by a stick :twisted: Just fiddle with the pitch and sample length until they sound like they fit together better! Quite often a nice out of place sticking out hat doesn't sound bad either :lol:

:lol:
True say.
And I do tend to have a nice out of place hat, but there's always the main hats you want to match decently, and sound right together. I just seem to have trouble with that.

Ah well, I suppose it just takes more practice and fucking about.

Lineages

Return to Production