Who's Using More Hardware Than Software?

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Re: Who's Using More Hardware Than Software?

Postby rosserik » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:38 am

I just sold the last of my efx pedals because all of it can be replicated less greedily in terms of space and plug-use concerned, in the DAW, ableton in my case
this applies to live gigs all the same

I just have a peavey usb6 for inputting a condenser microphone recording percussive things, vocals, little toy instruments and things, guitar, bass, and whoever I play with at the time and their needs fit into that, covers the 'real' sounds from physical things
Now I'm all about midi controllers for the phyiscal interface, most sounds can be replicated internally, love my launchpad, got a umx490 because it was a year ago and I didn't know any better, 49 keys + 8 dials + 8 buttons for 100 quid suited me and still does for inputting midi notes and controlling effects, and a remote zero sl original because it has two screens which makes the previous only for keys, will eventually upgrade the two to a single sl mk ii 61, buying a keith mcmillen softstep this week, massive improvement on the fcb1010 from the looks of it, was going to get an mpd26 but might wait for keiths quneo also

none of it is considered hardware because it's essentially a glorified mouse and keyboard in terms of what it does but it's a physical thing to touch and move, and when I played the synths in my local dawsons, I was tempted but for a few hundred quid, I couldn't help feeling that I could patch in each of their sounds with softsynths now, so microphones and acoustic instruments, guitars and controllers will be me by this time next year
rosserik

Postby MKS » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:08 am

I still use a lot of Hardware. I've kept all of my synths since I started to build my studio so I have some decent analogue and digital synths that I will midi up and then usually resample or record the parts as audio back into my DAW. I have lots of Roland stuff. Things like a Juno-106, MKS-50, MKS-70, both with the controllers and a JV-2080 for some nice pads and whatnot.
MKS

Postby MKS » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:27 am

Bump
MKS

Previous

Return to Production