Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Any VST Effect recommendations?

Any VST Effect recommendations?

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Re: Any VST Effect recommendations?

Postby parsons19 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:33 pm

When it comes down to it I usually just end up using lots of delay and reverb :)

If you are into mucking around with crazy stuff though I would recommend a VST Effect called Livecut. It works really well if you are using breaks to make beats. (I know, its a garage forum, might not be many of you!).

But if you want a play around whack in and loop the amen break for a few bars. Apply Livecut. Make some changes then hear the amen go nuts on you! It can be rather random though :lol:

It is free to so you got nothing to lose.

Apart from that I'm not sure I can actually recommend anything!
parsons19

Postby blnd! » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:59 pm

parsons19 wrote:When it comes down to it I usually just end up using lots of delay and reverb :)

If you are into mucking around with crazy stuff though I would recommend a VST Effect called Livecut. It works really well if you are using breaks to make beats. (I know, its a garage forum, might not be many of you!).

But if you want a play around whack in and loop the amen break for a few bars. Apply Livecut. Make some changes then hear the amen go nuts on you! It can be rather random though :lol:

It is free to so you got nothing to lose.

Apart from that I'm not sure I can actually recommend anything!
yeah i love it, dope plugin!
and it's FREE!

The BBCut Library began out of work on an algorithm to simulate the automatic cutting of breakbeats in the style of early jungle or drum and bass.
It is a live beat-slicer but instead of manipulating equal chunks of audio like most beatslicer do, it works on the notion of audio cuts whose length and number of repetition depends on the context and the cutting procedure. cuts are organized in blocks which then form a phrase. see Image below. And each phrase can be ended by a roll or fill.
blnd!

Postby charlux » Sat May 12, 2012 5:05 am

I usually dont bump up old threads but this is a good topic.
But I have two suggestions
Sausage Fattener, anyone ever use that? It would be considered a saturater I think, but it is great especially for crisping up reeses and the like, and used conservatively on an 808 kick bass it can give it some extra boom and presence. I think it's fairly cheap. only 29USD/18GBP

Also, not an effect, but Z3ta+2. Such a good synth, and overlooked it would seem. Great for organs(the most realistic I've heard from a synth) and reeses(especially for those nurofunk, glitch-hop slimy band reject sounds, if your into that.)
charlux

Postby arXter » Sat May 12, 2012 2:39 pm

charlux wrote:Great for organs(the most realistic I've heard from a synth)

For a proper emulation of the Hammond organ, I recommend GSi's VB3:

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=24
arXter

Postby charlux » Sat May 12, 2012 9:14 pm

arXter wrote:
charlux wrote:Great for organs(the most realistic I've heard from a synth)

For a proper emulation of the Hammond organ, I recommend GSi's VB3:

What I ment by that statement was most realistic organ from a non emulator, waveform/filter etc. synth, The VB3 looks pretty good, I think I used the demo a while ago(not sure) But what I really want is a faithful emulation of a VOX Continental for The Doors sound.
charlux

Postby arXter » Sat May 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Oh I was just finding any window to post about the VB3! I do love the Hammond sound.
arXter

Postby charlux » Sat May 12, 2012 9:53 pm

arXter wrote:Oh I was just finding any window to post about the VB3! I do love the Hammond sound.

The hammond sound is awesome, but it sounds best for that super busy jazz and soul stuff. I..can not play that well. I typically use organs for offbeat reggae style stabs and crap like that, so a brighter sound is more my style.
This freeware organ, Combo Model V is good for this, ( http://www.martinic.com/combov/ ) it's not super versatile, but it sounds good with tons of delay and reverb.
charlux

Postby blnd! » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:45 pm

The 27 best free VST plug-ins in the world today
http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/ ... ay-277953#

(realtively) fresh post, so the links are not broken (except one or two), totally worth to check out these VST effects and instruments!
blnd!

Postby ninja_edit » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:30 am

The only third party plugin I use with Ableton is a transient shaper, because it doesn't have one stock.

It's called Transient from the recent KVR challenge, and it's free.
ninja_edit

Postby charlux » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:52 am

ninja_edit wrote:The only third party plugin I use with Ableton is a transient shaper, because it doesn't have one stock.

It's called Transient from the recent KVR challenge, and it's free.

Thanks for the tip! Ive been wondering if there were any good free ones out there.

I have a recommendation. the Disco DSP Nightshine(FREE). It's pretty much the only compressor I use anymore. PC only, unfortunately for some. http://www.discodsp.com/nightshine/
charlux

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:04 am

charlux wrote:
I have a recommendation. the Disco DSP Nightshine(FREE). It's pretty much the only compressor I use anymore. PC only, unfortunately for some. http://www.discodsp.com/nightshine/

On the subject of free Compressors Im a big fan of Audio Damage's Rough Rider.
I love the Ableton compressor because it's so transparent but sometimes I want something a bit more full on or vintage sounding which is when I crack this out. It's especially good for parallel comp on your drums etc. Also has less visual feedback than Ableton's comp and forces you to use your ears a bit more which is good!

Also U-he recently updated one of their freeware synths, the Tyrell Nexus 6. I loved the original but haven't had much of chance to play with the new version. Definitely worth checking out though! Details here
Ruairidh
Hollow Legs & 1/3 of Frequent Flyers
[Facebook][Soundcloud][Twitter]

Mr.Beeb - What You Do (Hollow Legs Remix) [FREE DL]
http://soundcloud.com/hollow_legs/mr-beeb-what-you-do-hollow
Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Postby charlux » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:02 am

Rufus_FrequentFlyers wrote:On the subject of free Compressors Im a big fan of Audio Damage's Rough Rider.
I love the Ableton compressor because it's so transparent but sometimes I want something a bit more full on or vintage sounding which is when I crack this out. It's especially good for parallel comp on your drums etc. Also has less visual feedback than Ableton's comp and forces you to use your ears a bit more which is good!

Yes, that is probably the best compressor for parallel comp. I find it a bit much just full on the drum buss, because it is the hardest compressor Ive ever used. One thing I dont like about it is, if nothing goes through it for a while, then something does the sound has this long attack on the volume, kinda annoying.
charlux

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:33 am

charlux wrote:
Rufus_FrequentFlyers wrote:On the subject of free Compressors Im a big fan of Audio Damage's Rough Rider.

Yes, that is probably the best compressor for parallel comp. I find it a bit much just full on the drum buss, because it is the hardest compressor Ive ever used. One thing I dont like about it is, if nothing goes through it for a while, then something does the sound has this long attack on the volume, kinda annoying.

Yeh I'd noticed that but only when turning it on and off for A/B'ing, it seems to work a lot more like an analog hardware comp than most VST's and I think it's something to do with the modelling. Not really sure though tbh.
Ruairidh
Hollow Legs & 1/3 of Frequent Flyers
[Facebook][Soundcloud][Twitter]

Mr.Beeb - What You Do (Hollow Legs Remix) [FREE DL]
http://soundcloud.com/hollow_legs/mr-beeb-what-you-do-hollow
Rufus_FrequentFlyers

PreviousNext

Return to Production