Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Live PA / Controllerism and live performances

Live PA / Controllerism and live performances

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Re: Live PA / Controllerism and live performances

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:43 pm

charlux wrote:Dont know if anyone has seen any of Birdy Nam Nam's performances, but it's pretty crazy. Not really controllerism, but turntabilism. And not a laptop insight. :D

Yeh I've checked out a couple of their vids before, unreal! I've noticed they've started doing a bit more production lately (for Owsla I think?) but I've not listened to any of it. You got any idea if it's more stuff like this just recorded and polished up or more standard DAW based stuff.
Ruairidh
Hollow Legs & 1/3 of Frequent Flyers
[Facebook][Soundcloud][Twitter]

Mr.Beeb - What You Do (Hollow Legs Remix) [FREE DL]
http://soundcloud.com/hollow_legs/mr-beeb-what-you-do-hollow
Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Postby charlux » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:06 am

Rufus_FrequentFlyers wrote:Yeh I've checked out a couple of their vids before, unreal! I've noticed they've started doing a bit more production lately (for Owsla I think?) but I've not listened to any of it. You got any idea if it's more stuff like this just recorded and polished up or more standard DAW based stuff.

Their new stuff is alot more DAW based stuff. It's still pretty good imo. But whatever they do I'm sure they will mix it up live, their claim to fame is the performance.
Yeah, they're on Owsla now, but ol' Skrilly has some pretty good stuff on the label, a lot of way lesser known artists.
charlux

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:40 am

charlux wrote:
Rufus_FrequentFlyers wrote:Yeh I've checked out a couple of their vids before, unreal! I've noticed they've started doing a bit more production lately (for Owsla I think?) but I've not listened to any of it. You got any idea if it's more stuff like this just recorded and polished up or more standard DAW based stuff.

Their new stuff is alot more DAW based stuff. It's still pretty good imo. But whatever they do I'm sure they will mix it up live, their claim to fame is the performance.
Yeah, they're on Owsla now, but ol' Skrilly has some pretty good stuff on the label, a lot of way lesser known artists.

Cool, yeh I expect they'll be pretty epic to see live even doing a slightly more standard set! Scratch Perverts are the other ones who kinda transitioned from DMC winning Turntablists to b2b DJ's but they're unreal live! They're Fabriclive mix is still on rotation on my ipod!

Yeh I've noticed that Owsla doesn't just put out mindless Brostep (which is what I would've expected). Guys like Nick Thayer, French Fries, Noisia, etc have all put out stuff, gotta respect a label that defies expectation.
Ruairidh
Hollow Legs & 1/3 of Frequent Flyers
[Facebook][Soundcloud][Twitter]

Mr.Beeb - What You Do (Hollow Legs Remix) [FREE DL]
http://soundcloud.com/hollow_legs/mr-beeb-what-you-do-hollow
Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Postby charlux » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:18 am

Rufus_FrequentFlyers wrote:Yeh I've noticed that Owsla doesn't just put out mindless Brostep (which is what I would've expected). Guys like Nick Thayer, French Fries, Noisia, etc have all put out stuff, gotta respect a label that defies expectation.

I'm glad you mentioned those artists, I never know where people stand as far as other forms of electronic music (ones that may be somewhat popular) on this forum, . I actually really like the more downtempo Nuro Funk stuff producers like Noisia and Koan Sound(also on Owsla) put out. Koan Sound, they do use more midirangey basses that may appeal to the brostep crowd, but their stuff is funky as hell, and isn't the mindless "lets see how many Massive patches I can use in one bar" sound.

I'm going to have to check out the Scratch Perverts and see if I can find their Fabriclive mix.
charlux

Postby ichinen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:21 pm

So I am putting my first live set together... Working out the best way to do things...

I have an APC40 and ableton...

Do people set up a whole set as an arrangement or do they literally 'produce live'?

Opinions? What do those who arrange do while they are at the gig? Additional effects etc?
http://soundcloud.com/ichinen/spell-luv
ichinen.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/ichinen
ichinen

Postby DFENDR » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:09 pm

I've been trying to get into the same thing, performing in Ableton rather than exporting to wav then playin in Traktor like I used too. Works okay if you just want to play the rendered out tune, but I got bored with that really quickly. I want to be able to feel like I have more control over what sounds are happening, when different parts come in, and (even though it won't be completely from scratch) feel like I'm doing some production while I'm playing.

I've got a friend who's got a method down that I'll explain, but I'm curious how others are doing this too.

So what my friend (her name's DukTap! check her out for reaaal) does is this: once she's got a song completed, she'll set up 8 new audio channels and group her live tracks into 8 groups, and record her songs down into 8 "stems" basically. So you'd have your drums, which might be 3-4 groups (maybe (1)Kick (2)Snares, Toms, HH, etc. (3)other percussive bits (4)impacts (this is totally up to you and even the track btw). Then you might have (5)leads and (6)pads and (7)bass and (8)vocals/fx. You record each group into a stem, and bring that into your live PA set, then break it up into 2/4/8/16 bar loops, all equal, and set that up in session view, aligning the first 2/4/8/16 bars of each stem, then the next 2/4/8/16 bars, then the next. Basically, either with a launchpad/apc40/mpd/etc or with follow actions or a bit of both, you play all 8 of the stems at once, but they're each customize-able in regards to volume/panning/fx/loop/what-have-you.

Basically, it allows you to play your track in 8 different, independent parts. So you could bring in another track's pads and vocals to your current tracks drums and bass. Then swap kicks or leads or something. Add some other songs, samples, fx and transitions, and you're on your way to a live PA set!

I've not yet done this further than 2 tracks, it takes some work to set up to be completely honest, but I'm wondering if anyone else has a set up like this, or a recommendation? I want to start setting up my first one soonish!
Facebook / Soundcloud / Twitter

DFENDR - "Capture" (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dfendr/capture-original-mix
Out now on CK Division.
Buy it now on: iTunes || Beatport
DFENDR

Postby blnd! » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:59 pm

DFENDR wrote:I've not yet done this further than 2 tracks, it takes some work to set up to be completely honest, but I'm wondering if anyone else has a set up like this, or a recommendation? I want to start setting up my first one soonish!

Aye exporting/rendering and arranging samples/loops takes ages :/
My current setup (Akai APC20):
1. kick 2. break/percussion 3. snare/clap 4. hihat/crash 5. bass 6. lead 7. synth/lead 8. vocal 9. misc 10. VSTi (midi)

I tried to use 8 channels only, but i just couldn't. I'd prefer to use the midi file instead of samples as it would give more room to experiment with it, but that would mean that i have to use heaps of midi channels open all the VSTs and shite and thats just a pain in the ass. Also in my opinion this setup is not flexible enough (although i couldn't come up with a better one), because of the way Ableton handles scenes . Actually sometimes it's extremely frustrating and basically the whole session view is totally strange and even after 5-6 years im still unsure if this is even a good layout. Have i mentioned that i don't even like Ableton? :)

Anyway i have all the songs in Session View, and because i play them from top to bottom i have to come up with some sort of structure for the set. But at the same time i'd prefer to keep my set as flexible as possible so i'll probably change the order of the songs on the fly (depends how the crowd reacts, what i wanna play etc). But when u play in a club, and have 8 or more channels and heaps of tunes (and already had some drinks) it's not easy to remember which tunes u played which ones u skipped. Im trying to color the scenes which can help to track the status of the tunes but I'd love to have the option to group scenes, collapse and expand these groups, make it easier to move them up and down.

If u totally new to the live PA tingy perhaps u wanna read this article:
http://tarekith.com/ableton-live-apc40-live-pa-set-up/
blnd!

Postby bkwsk » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:52 am

A little bit off topic but this would be so cool to have:

https://vimeo.com/49759104
bkwsk

Postby ichinen » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 am

Haha. WANT!

Yeah, I have started to bounce all my midi loops down into audio loops.. I deffo see this as being a good idea, need to buy me a sound card so I can plug in at venues, things are looking promising though and I am excited about doing a performance. :)
http://soundcloud.com/ichinen/spell-luv
ichinen.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/ichinen
ichinen

Postby blnd! » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:01 pm

some useful stuff here:
http://www.livepa.org
blnd!

Postby charlux » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:25 pm

blnd! wrote:some useful stuff here:

Nice. Good video I found over there

charlux

Postby blnd! » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:44 am

charlux wrote:

Interesting way to do it.
I'm not using Ableton for music production, so im doing things differently. But i think i wouldn't record the whole tune and slice it to 16 bar loops but just render the loops i actually need so i don't need 15-16 session for a tune (imagine you have 10 tunes, that would be 150 session - now try to navigate). Ableton 9's 'Consolidate Time to New Scene' feature will simplify this rather tedious task.

diggin his New Zealand dialect :)
blnd!

Postby DFENDR » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:21 pm

charlux wrote:

Ah yeah, that's a much better explanation of exactly what I was talking about. Nice find!
Facebook / Soundcloud / Twitter

DFENDR - "Capture" (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dfendr/capture-original-mix
Out now on CK Division.
Buy it now on: iTunes || Beatport
DFENDR

Postby blnd! » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 pm

I recorded my live PA set, u can check it out here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8356
maybe i shoulda recorded a video too :geek: next time perhaps
blnd!

Postby charlux » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:30 pm

blnd! wrote:maybe i shoulda recorded a video too :geek: next time perhaps

Yes! A screen capture would be fantastic, or just being able to see the screen would help.
charlux

PreviousNext

Return to Production