Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Live PA / Controllerism and live performances

Live PA / Controllerism and live performances

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Re: Live PA / Controllerism and live performances

Postby blnd! » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:30 pm

charlux wrote:
blnd! wrote:maybe i shoulda recorded a video too :geek: next time perhaps

Yes! A screen capture would be fantastic, or just being able to see the screen would help.

i posted a screen cap viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5789&p=33507#p32848 but its just an image, will try to capture video next time o shoot a video
blnd!

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:59 am

blnd! wrote:I recorded my live PA set, u can check it out here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8356
maybe i shoulda recorded a video too :geek: next time perhaps

I'd be well up for seeing a vid. Even just a short one with a much condensed set would be really interesting to see. Also as I mentioned before I loved the mix!
Ruairidh
Hollow Legs & 1/3 of Frequent Flyers
[Facebook][Soundcloud][Twitter]

Mr.Beeb - What You Do (Hollow Legs Remix) [FREE DL]
http://soundcloud.com/hollow_legs/mr-beeb-what-you-do-hollow
Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Postby DFENDR » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Lovin the mix, thanks for sharing. Agreed though, would really love a vid next time you do one! Even a really short one, condensed mix!
Facebook / Soundcloud / Twitter

DFENDR - "Capture" (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dfendr/capture-original-mix
Out now on CK Division.
Buy it now on: iTunes || Beatport
DFENDR

Postby ichinen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:41 pm

I have taken the dive and mixed down my tracks and begun building my live PA.... photo to come, but it seems a lot like the other guys in here have it pretty spot on.
http://soundcloud.com/ichinen/spell-luv
ichinen.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/ichinen
ichinen

Postby DFENDR » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:56 pm

blnd! wrote:
DFENDR wrote:I've not yet done this further than 2 tracks, it takes some work to set up to be completely honest, but I'm wondering if anyone else has a set up like this, or a recommendation? I want to start setting up my first one soonish!

Aye exporting/rendering and arranging samples/loops takes ages :/
My current setup (Akai APC20):
1. kick 2. break/percussion 3. snare/clap 4. hihat/crash 5. bass 6. lead 7. synth/lead 8. vocal 9. misc 10. VSTi (midi)

I tried to use 8 channels only, but i just couldn't. I'd prefer to use the midi file instead of samples as it would give more room to experiment with it, but that would mean that i have to use heaps of midi channels open all the VSTs and shite and thats just a pain in the ass. Also in my opinion this setup is not flexible enough (although i couldn't come up with a better one), because of the way Ableton handles scenes . Actually sometimes it's extremely frustrating and basically the whole session view is totally strange and even after 5-6 years im still unsure if this is even a good layout. Have i mentioned that i don't even like Ableton? :)

Anyway i have all the songs in Session View, and because i play them from top to bottom i have to come up with some sort of structure for the set. But at the same time i'd prefer to keep my set as flexible as possible so i'll probably change the order of the songs on the fly (depends how the crowd reacts, what i wanna play etc). But when u play in a club, and have 8 or more channels and heaps of tunes (and already had some drinks) it's not easy to remember which tunes u played which ones u skipped. Im trying to color the scenes which can help to track the status of the tunes but I'd love to have the option to group scenes, collapse and expand these groups, make it easier to move them up and down.

If u totally new to the live PA tingy perhaps u wanna read this article:
http://tarekith.com/ableton-live-apc40-live-pa-set-up/

Ay BLND!, I've got another question for ya, hopefully you (or anyone else out there can help)!

So I started doin' all this LIVE PA set up stuff really seriously this last week and it's going pretty well (a lot more straight forward than I was anticipating, and it's getting me really excited about my live shows) but the one bump in the road I'm experiencing is related to files.

I'm getting my tunes mixed down to simple loops and such, but then I'm just copying and pasting them into the Live PA set. I want to be able to save those loops (drum, bass, synth, pad loop) into an easy, open-able, organized fashion, song by song. This way if I ever create a second set, or want to be more fluid, I can just drag a song out of the explorer tab in Live and it'll just pop into the right channels. Obviously this would be super useful to the fluidity of the set, so I could say "oh, they're not digging this vibe i've laid out in this set, better change it up to xyz."

Does this make any sense? I know there's a way to do this (saw a vid on it a long time back, but don't remember where). Thanks to anyone that can help!

Out now on CK Division.
DFENDR

Postby blnd! » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:06 pm

You mean like saving/exporting and importin secenes? That's not possible unfortunately, but you can select the clips in a scene and save them as a live set.
According to the manual this is how you do it:
5.5.3 Exporting Session Clips as New Sets
You can export a selection of Session View clips as a new Live Set by dragging them to the File Browser. To export a Set, first click and drag, or use the or Ctrl (PC) / (Mac) modifiers, to select more than one Session View clip. Then, simply drag the clips to a folder in the File Browser, where you can either confirrm Live's suggested name or type in one of your own.

(I never actually used this feature, im keeping all the tunes within one set)

You can find a discussion on this issue on the Ableton forum: https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129739
blnd!

Postby DFENDR » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:37 pm

blnd! wrote:You mean like saving/exporting and importin secenes? That's not possible unfortunately, but you can select the clips in a scene and save them as a live set.
According to the manual this is how you do it:
5.5.3 Exporting Session Clips as New Sets
You can export a selection of Session View clips as a new Live Set by dragging them to the File Browser. To export a Set, first click and drag, or use the or Ctrl (PC) / (Mac) modifiers, to select more than one Session View clip. Then, simply drag the clips to a folder in the File Browser, where you can either confirrm Live's suggested name or type in one of your own.

(I never actually used this feature, im keeping all the tunes within one set)

You can find a discussion on this issue on the Ableton forum: https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129739

Yeah, that sorta helps. That's what I'm doing already, just didn't know if there was a more streamlined way of doing it. Thanks man.

Out now on CK Division.
DFENDR

Postby 5910 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:08 am

I thought people who posted in this thread may be interested in this competition. It's bro-wank but it's a good opportunity nonetheless.

Postby eenzo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:21 am

these guys were doing pa's before it was cool: :ugeek:

also this. not strictly fg, but....SO MUCH HARDWARE

some cool garage-y vibez
http://soundcloud.com/birdrun/timbr
new remix: (warning: may or may not blow your sub)
http://soundcloud.com/birdrun/palomafaithremix

dude, house and garage are sooooo played out. I make apartment
eenzo

Postby DFENDR » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:30 am

http://imm.io/PwzM

So, this is what my set is looking like. A lot like BLND's set up, got 8 channels for my stems and loops (workin' great with the launchpad) and then a Deck A and Deck B for other loops, fills, FX or tracks that I'd play with it.

Got my old LPD8 out, and set up some MIDI control from that. Played a show out the other week, went pretty well actually! Got another one in a couple days, but I think it's gunna be time to grab some more LIVE PA hardware. Thinkin' pretty seriously about the MPD 32 to go alongside my Launchpad (APC 40 seems like overkill, I'd rather have the sampler pads than 2 launchpads essentially).

Any one with an MPD 32 they love/hate? Or what other hardware out there is everyone using?

Out now on CK Division.
DFENDR

Postby blnd! » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:16 pm

DFENDR wrote:http://imm.io/PwzM

So, this is what my set is looking like. A lot like BLND's set up, got 8 channels for my stems and loops (workin' great with the launchpad) and then a Deck A and Deck B for other loops, fills, FX or tracks that I'd play with it.

Got my old LPD8 out, and set up some MIDI control from that. Played a show out the other week, went pretty well actually! Got another one in a couple days, but I think it's gunna be time to grab some more LIVE PA hardware. Thinkin' pretty seriously about the MPD 32 to go alongside my Launchpad (APC 40 seems like overkill, I'd rather have the sampler pads than 2 launchpads essentially).

Any one with an MPD 32 they love/hate? Or what other hardware out there is everyone using?

likin the project name: THA FUTURE :lol:
glad to hear that your show went well! did u recorded it?

MPD32 looks ok, u should check out the latency before u buy it, USB not always as fast as it should be
blnd!

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:07 am

DFENDR wrote:http://imm.io/PwzM

Couldn't help but notice you've got iZotope Ozone in your effects chain. I'm assuming thats on the Master Channel? Just wondering what you're using it for? Do you not find that it makes it a bit CPU heavy? I'd have thought for Live PA's you'd want to get everything as light weight and CPU friendly as possible.
Ruairidh

Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Postby DFENDR » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:57 pm

blnd! wrote:likin the project name: THA FUTURE :lol:
glad to hear that your show went well! did u recorded it?

MPD32 looks ok, u should check out the latency before u buy it, USB not always as fast as it should be

Yeah, I haven't gotten a chance to mess around with one. Played with an APC40 the other night though, might be changing my mind to that.

Didn't record it, not sure I'm ready for that yet. Shows were just some drunken basement shows (that's the midwest tradition!) but got some legit shows next month I will FOR SURE record and put up.

Rufus_FrequentFlyers wrote:Couldn't help but notice you've got iZotope Ozone in your effects chain. I'm assuming thats on the Master Channel? Just wondering what you're using it for? Do you not find that it makes it a bit CPU heavy? I'd have thought for Live PA's you'd want to get everything as light weight and CPU friendly as possible.

Well, it was in there from a default set up of the Live Set, and didn't realize it until I was getting samples into it. Didn't take it off and it doesn't effect my CPU at all, so I had just left it. Took it off for the show, but that's why it's on in that pic.

Out now on CK Division.
DFENDR

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:08 am

DFENDR wrote:Well, it was in there from a default set up of the Live Set, and didn't realize it until I was getting samples into it. Didn't take it off and it doesn't effect my CPU at all, so I had just left it. Took it off for the show, but that's why it's on in that pic.

Fair enough, was wondering if you maybe had some default mastering settings dialed in r something.
Ruairidh

Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Postby DFENDR » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Rufus_FrequentFlyers wrote:Fair enough, was wondering if you maybe had some default mastering settings dialed in r something.

I do have a default preset that's very minimal set to load up on there just based off of how I've used it over and over again, but obviously it's always different per tune.

Anyway, Idecided against the MPD 32, goin' with the APC40 instead. Got to play around with a friends and really liked the set up he had. He's doin' SENDS ONLY to two channels which he has A and B, then does cross fading between the two like a wet/dry (B is WET A is DRY kinda thing) - makes for some really cool sounds on a beatrepeat/pitch decay and such.

Anyway, once I get it set up I'll let you know what mine looks like, prolly post a set up here too, got a few gigs comin' up.

By the way, got the white APC 40. Mhmmmmmmmm

Out now on CK Division.
DFENDR

PreviousNext

Return to Production