Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Home-studio monitors

Home-studio monitors

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Home-studio monitors

Postby Thirtyfour » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:41 pm

Didn't see a topic about monitors (I checked the newcomers guide too) so I'm gonna open one myself. If it exists and I missed it please kill me.

So I'm a bedroom producer and after many years of headphones-only production I'd like to take the plunge and switch to a speaker based setup.

The room I've set up for my studio is quite big, I guess something around 25 square meters. I'd like to understand if a couple of low-watt nearfield monitors would still face room acoustic issues or if it becomes irrelevant.

Staying on the upper limit of my budget my first choice at the moment would be a 2.1 setup with two Yamaha HS50M and a Yamaha HS10W sub to handle the lowest frequencies. Anyone has a better option for the same price or lower?

Thank you! (:
Soundcloud - Facebook
Every tune is Free Download, if you like my stuff all I ask you in return is following me on Soundcloud and/or liking my FB page so you won't miss any upload!

Highlight
My last EP Mountains, released 28/03/2014
Thirtyfour

Re: Home-studio monitors

Postby ehbrums1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Ive heard that the HS50M's are somewhat hit or miss so i recommend you test them out somewhere before buying them
ehbrums1

Postby Thirtyfour » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:25 am

ehbrums1 wrote:Ive heard that the HS50M's are somewhat hit or miss so i recommend you test them out somewhere before buying them

Forgive me the noob question: what should I pay attention to when testing the monitors exactly? I mean, as far as I know they don't have to sound "good" but pretty much accurate, or at least they should have a frequency response you're used to, so isn't it a matter of 'knowing' your monitors rather then liking them at the first listen?

A lot of people told me the same thing about the famous Yamaha NS10, as they have a surgically accurate upper-mid frequency range response which tends to make everything sound shitty but is an awesome tool to keep that frequency range (which is where most of the stuff goes on) in check. I really don't understand if "you love them or you hate them" means "you love them only if you know how to use them" or if it's really a matter of preferences ahahaha.
Soundcloud - Facebook
Every tune is Free Download, if you like my stuff all I ask you in return is following me on Soundcloud and/or liking my FB page so you won't miss any upload!

Highlight
Thirtyfour

Postby ehbrums1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:52 am

They seem to accentuate "bad" frequencies.. Some people like that for mixing and some don't
ehbrums1

Postby ninja_edit » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:37 am

I can only sort of help. What you're after is the most average or neutral frequency response. You can check this by looking at charts of the frequency response, like they have in Sound On Sound.

You can also play varying tones through it, and somehow use this to evaluate the speakers, although often these standard frequencies will be correct with discrepencies in between them.

Otherwise play some reference material through the speakers, and evaluate whether you would want to mix with them. :lol:
ninja_edit

Postby Thirtyfour » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:09 am

So probably playing something I know is still the best option. Thank you guys!
Soundcloud - Facebook

Highlight
Thirtyfour

Postby eenzo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:24 pm

IMO you'd be better off getting two hs80s (theyre quite cheap on the 'bay, I got a pair for $450 new in box) than hs50s and a sub b/c a sub is a bitch acoustically and when I tried them out (hs50s with sub vs hs80s) there seemed to be a hole in the low mids, whereas the hs80s were more consistent, even though they didnt have quite the lows of the sub.(if you really need the low lows, you can always get a sub and hook it up, or get some nice headphones) plus, on the 80's the low end comes from two places,(there's a stereo picture) which is more realistic than all the low end energy coming from one source (the sub). About trying out monitors, I'd say that the absolute #1 thing you should be looking for in a monitor is pointing out mistakes in your mixes. I brought my laptop to guitarcenter and I listened to some of my tracks and some of my WIPs, and the only monitor which really exposed mistakes was the hs80. My friend came over to produce with my setup and he hates them (hes got mackie mr5s), so I'd recommend you try them out first, cause they're really a love/hate thing. I'd argue tho that the "worse" your monitors sound, the better that your mixes will be, but thats just my very very humble opinion. I'd also recommend getting this book: http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Secrets-Sm ... 0240815807 its really helped me out with getting my head around all this mixing/engineering business.

good luck!

Luigi
some cool garage-y vibez
http://soundcloud.com/birdrun/timbr
new remix: (warning: may or may not blow your sub)
http://soundcloud.com/birdrun/palomafaithremix

dude, house and garage are sooooo played out. I make apartment
eenzo

Postby Thirtyfour » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:14 pm

eenzo wrote:IMO you'd be better off getting two hs80s (theyre quite cheap on the 'bay, I got a pair for $450 new in box) than hs50s and a sub b/c a sub is a bitch acoustically and when I tried them out (hs50s with sub vs hs80s) there seemed to be a hole in the low mids, whereas the hs80s were more consistent, even though they didnt have quite the lows of the sub.(if you really need the low lows, you can always get a sub and hook it up, or get some nice headphones) plus, on the 80's the low end comes from two places,(there's a stereo picture) which is more realistic than all the low end energy coming from one source (the sub). About trying out monitors, I'd say that the absolute #1 thing you should be looking for in a monitor is pointing out mistakes in your mixes. I brought my laptop to guitarcenter and I listened to some of my tracks and some of my WIPs, and the only monitor which really exposed mistakes was the hs80. My friend came over to produce with my setup and he hates them (hes got mackie mr5s), so I'd recommend you try them out first, cause they're really a love/hate thing. I'd argue tho that the "worse" your monitors sound, the better that your mixes will be, but thats just my very very humble opinion. I'd also recommend getting this book: http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Secrets-Sm ... 0240815807 its really helped me out with getting my head around all this mixing/engineering business.

good luck!

Luigi

Plenty of useful info, thank you Luigi! I considered the hs80m too and I was a bit concerned about not having the same low-freq response as a sub would (given that hs80m + sub is over the top of my budget). Anyways I've got a good pair of headphones that could make up for it somehow, and still I could upgrade my setup buying a sub in the future. I guess I'll get my ass to a music shop and try the two setups out!
Soundcloud - Facebook

Highlight
Thirtyfour

Postby eenzo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Welcome man. Always a pleasure to help a fellow producer with my (limited) knowledge :mrgreen:
btdubs the tune in your sig is sikk. followed and liked

on another note, where in italy ru from? cuz my family's from como/firenze
some cool garage-y vibez
http://soundcloud.com/birdrun/timbr
new remix: (warning: may or may not blow your sub)
http://soundcloud.com/birdrun/palomafaithremix

dude, house and garage are sooooo played out. I make apartment
eenzo

Postby Thirtyfour » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:35 pm

eenzo wrote:Welcome man. Always a pleasure to help a fellow producer with my (limited) knowledge :mrgreen:
btdubs the tune in your sig is sikk. followed and liked

on another note, where in italy ru from? cuz my family's from como/firenze

Followed you back! (:

I live quite close to Milan, where fog covers pretty much everything lol. I love Firenze anyway (and I should really see Como and the lake).
Soundcloud - Facebook

Highlight
Thirtyfour

Postby ehbrums1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:50 am

THREAD DERAIL INCOMING

so are you an AC or Inter fan :mrgreen:
ehbrums1

Postby Thirtyfour » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 am

Haha, I'm not really much into soccer (or football? whatever you call it)!

Oh, and speaking of monitors (lol): when people says to take care of the "acoustic treatment" of your room, what does it actually mean? I'm still in my bedroom so bass traps in the corners and panels on the walls is a bit beyond my possibilities :mrgreen:
Soundcloud - Facebook

Highlight
Thirtyfour

Postby blnd! » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Thirtyfour wrote:Oh, and speaking of monitors (lol): when people says to take care of the "acoustic treatment" of your room, what does it actually mean? I'm still in my bedroom so bass traps in the corners and panels on the walls is a bit beyond my possibilities :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6231
(first 10 mins ain that interesting)
blnd!

Postby Thirtyfour » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 pm

blnd! wrote:
Thirtyfour wrote:Oh, and speaking of monitors (lol): when people says to take care of the "acoustic treatment" of your room, what does it actually mean? I'm still in my bedroom so bass traps in the corners and panels on the walls is a bit beyond my possibilities :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6231
(first 10 mins ain that interesting)

Cool, checkin it out when I'm back at my desktop. Thanks!
Soundcloud - Facebook

Highlight
Thirtyfour

Postby DFENDR » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:52 pm

For what it's worth, I've got a pair of Alesis M1 Active Mk2 on "indefinite long-term loan" from a friend. Which means I borrowed them years ago and still have them. Now I've got money for my own and am looking at getting a pair of my own (about $250 for a pair in the US). Anyways, I really like them a lot. Really clean sound, fairly decent bass (basically for what they are they're great).

I just sort of figured I'd get what I was used to. But the last few weeks I've been having thoughts similar to Ehbrums' - I should get what exposes the most flaws in my mixes. So maybe I'll get some KRKs for the mean time to work on, then get a pair of Alesis later? Not sure if two sets of low-end monitors will really sound THAT different though, so perhaps I'll just stick with what I like!

Anyone else have that "Just One More Piece of Gear" syndrome? :ugeek:
Facebook / Soundcloud / Twitter

DFENDR - "Capture" (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dfendr/capture-original-mix
Out now on CK Division.
Buy it now on: iTunes || Beatport
DFENDR

Next

Return to Production