Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Trouble With Volume/Mixing

Trouble With Volume/Mixing

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Trouble With Volume/Mixing

Postby Vagrant » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:49 pm

hey! I've always had issues with mixing/mastering my tracks, but this one is just really getting to me. I use FL Studio as a DAW (don't hate me) and it's pushing 0 db inside of Fl Studio, but it sound so quiet both inside FL and outside as an mp3. Idk what to do. I've tried redoing the mixdown with new EQ arrangements and I tried mixing it on both headphones and speakers (no, neither are professional-grade) but it's just coming out really quiet and bad. Any help would be very appreciated.
Vagrant

Re: Trouble With Volume/Mixing

Postby charlux » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Vagrant wrote:I use FL Studio as a DAW (don't hate me)

You say that as if Fl is somehow inferior to the all mighty Ableton or something...
charlux

Postby Vagrant » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:57 pm

i don't think so but a lot of people seem to so i was just taking that into account
Vagrant

Postby charlux » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 pm

Vagrant wrote:i don't think so but a lot of people seem to so i was just taking that into account

Fair enough, I thought maybe you thought that. But anyway, back to the topic.
So I'm trying to understand your situation. Your mixing to 0db, no limiting/maximizing or anything, nothing on the master channel? Because you should be mixing to around -3 to -6db, to leave room for mastering(or maybe in your case just a quick limiting to achieve some loudness.)
charlux

Postby Vagrant » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:25 am

no im using a limiter and maximizer on the master
Vagrant

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:14 pm

If you're really struggling what you can do is put a very small amount of limiting on each individual channel while you're doing your mixdown. Be careful doing this as you'll seriously trash your dynamic range if you're not careful. Anything with any subtlety to its range you should probably skip. I hesitate to suggest it because the tendency (especially if you're mixing on lower quality speakers/headphones) is to go overboard.

I guess you could also look into using harmonic excitation to give your top end a bit of sparkle if you find it's a bit dull in that area.
Ruairidh
Hollow Legs & 1/3 of Frequent Flyers
[Facebook][Soundcloud][Twitter]

Mr.Beeb - What You Do (Hollow Legs Remix) [FREE DL]
http://soundcloud.com/hollow_legs/mr-beeb-what-you-do-hollow
Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Postby Vagrant » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:49 am

Good ideas, actually. Thanks ^.^
Vagrant

Postby tpc_uk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:45 am

I think smexoscope can help a bit with visualising spikes & stuff that are too loud in the mix... I use it alot now & love it.

http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=4

In theory once all the levels are good you should be able to get a bigger/louder mix.

I think some auto-panning on some channels can help sometimes aswell...

Your tunes on soundcloud sound nice & loud to me though.
tpc_uk

Postby blnd! » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:37 pm

When i'm doing the mixdown i dont pay much attention to loudness, if it feels like quiet i just turn the volume up (on my soundcard) but i always try to keep the mixer's output level under -6db.
blnd!

Return to Production