Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - [foley samples with smartphone tip]

[foley samples with smartphone tip]

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

[foley samples with smartphone tip]

Postby tpc_uk » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Ez guys.

Just been away on holiday & was sampling stuff using the 'Voice Memos' app that comes with the iPhone. The sounds came out quite well but then realised that the m4a file type didn't show up in ableton etc.

As a workaround you can just email the samples to yourself & when you save them just add '.mp3' to replace the '.m4a' and it works fine. Actually got some decent sounds like breaking different size icicles, walking on cracking ice, pub backgrounds, sliding doors etc etc.

I had a look around for apps that sample .wav & there didn't seem to be many on iPhone.

'Rehearsal Assistant' is a good free app for android - you can choose .wav if you go into the settings.

Anyway just thought I would post up. Cheers.
tpc_uk

Re: [foley samples with smartphone tip]

Postby [email protected] » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:04 am

When you choose your options for what you would like to sync to your computer when you plug in your iphone, you can select voice memos. They should end up in their own subsection of itunes called voice memos. Iphone mics work surprisingly well.
[email protected]

Postby tpc_uk » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 am

[email protected] wrote:When you choose your options for what you would like to sync to your computer when you plug in your iphone, you can select voice memos. They should end up in their own subsection of itunes called voice memos. Iphone mics work surprisingly well.

Thanks for the sync tip 8-)

Yeh the quality of the iPhone mic shocked me. The samples are good enough quality for my needs at this point :D
tpc_uk

Postby DFENDR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Yeah I'm surprised by it too. I've used iMaschine to record and sequence samples I find out and around town, and then I believe that iMaschine saves the samples as wav, although I have to check, I've only imported them into ableton once, a long time ago. Anyway, got some really nice sounds from a nature walk and antiques store (seriously, this place was an excellent treasure trove, I recommend everyone going to their local antiques or trinkets shop). Plus, with iMaschine you can sample and mess with a shitload of samples and start laying some stuff out on the go (granted without doing any editing or effects on the sample, but still useful). I think it's $5, I definitely recommend it to any producer.
Facebook / Soundcloud / Twitter

DFENDR - "Capture" (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dfendr/capture-original-mix
Out now on CK Division.
Buy it now on: iTunes || Beatport
DFENDR

Postby alphacat » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Check out SpaceSampler. Srsly.
alphacat

Postby ehbrums1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:03 pm

alphacat wrote:Check out SpaceSampler. Srsly.

since when were you here :lol:
ehbrums1

Postby Deep Theory » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:02 pm

very interesting
Deep Theory

Postby Hedley King » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Rec Forge (on Android phones) is decent
Hedley King

Postby tpc_uk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 pm

I've got the 3GS.

I used the sample of me breaking different sized icicles in a tune, sounds fine.

Pretty pissed off that Live 9 does not like the renamed .mp3 files though..... dunno what the problem is - copy protection etc I think.
tpc_uk

Postby DFENDR » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:27 pm

tpc_uk wrote:Pretty pissed off that Live 9 does not like the renamed .mp3 files though..... dunno what the problem is - copy protection etc I think.

What!? I don't have 9 yet, care to elaborate more?

Out now on CK Division.
DFENDR

Postby iamsaitam » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:44 am

You guys know that .m4a and .mp3 are different compression algorithms ? An orange won't become an apple just because you call it apple. If you rename the file to .mp3, the compression algorithm will still be the one used in .m4a .
iamsaitam

Postby tpc_uk » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:39 am

iamsaitam wrote:You guys know that .m4a and .mp3 are different compression algorithms ? An orange won't become an apple just because you call it apple. If you rename the file to .mp3, the compression algorithm will still be the one used in .m4a .

It does work. The samples also work fine in live 9 - just re-tested it. I must have been doing summat wrong before sorry guys.
DFENDR wrote:
tpc_uk wrote:Pretty pissed off that Live 9 does not like the renamed .mp3 files though..... dunno what the problem is - copy protection etc I think.

What!? I don't have 9 yet, care to elaborate more?

Works fine now - I must have messed something up before.
tpc_uk

Postby DFENDR » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:44 pm

tpc_uk wrote:Works fine now - I must have messed something up before.

Gotchya, didn't know if there was some silly new anti-piracy coding to keep me from using mp3s with drm or something. Still need to check out 9, dammit...

Out now on CK Division.
DFENDR

Return to Production