Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - headphones?

headphones?

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

headphones?

Postby Chongbottom » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm sure there will already be a thing about headphones somewhere but I can't find it...
I'm looking at buying some new headphones, and thought you guys could let me know which you think the best but still affordable?
Thanks
Chongbottom

Re: headphones?

Postby blnd! » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:32 pm

I never liked headphones but I'm using an audio-technica ATH-M40fs over a year now and i love it!
Sound On Sound review: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996_ar ... thm40.html
Great-sounding headphones for performing or mixing, with none of the usual boxiness of fully-enclosed models.

I can also recommend ATH-M50, but its a bit more expensive, ATH-M40fs is £72.60 on gear4music.com (or £50 on ebay) while ATM-M50 is around £134 but in my opinion the difference in sound quality isn't that big
blnd!

Postby bkwsk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Shure SRH440s are pretty good.
bkwsk

Postby charlux » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:43 am

I've been using Krk KNS8400 for sometime now. Flat sound, very comfortable. Also Krk makes a cheaper model, the KNS6400, I haven't actually heard these, so no comment. Also, you might hear about the AKG k240's...don't, just don't. I've been through 3 pairs, they sound good but they are delicate little snowflakes, and trust me, I am very careful with headphones.
charlux

Postby Chongbottom » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:31 pm

charlux wrote:Also, you might hear about the AKG k240's...don't, just don't. I've been through 3 pairs, they sound good but they are delicate little snowflakes, and trust me, I am very careful with headphones.

hahaaa
cheers guys, ended up going with the ATH -M40's... people sayin that there pretty good
Chongbottom

Postby Deep Theory » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:48 pm

I might be too late but...I wouldn't recommend the ATH-M50's if you like flat monitoring. I'm working on a degree in recording engineering, I own them and used them in school. They are bloated from around 80 Hz - 300 Hz.

If I had a redo I'd get Sennheisers. Like 25-50 bucks more but so, so worth it.

That being said the M50's have been great for tracking/DJing
Deep Theory

Postby charlux » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:24 am

Deep Theory wrote:I might be too late but...I wouldn't recommend the ATH-M50's if you like flat monitoring. I'm working on a degree in recording engineering, I own them and used them in school. They are bloated from around 80 Hz - 300 Hz.

If I had a redo I'd get Sennheisers. Like 25-50 bucks more but so, so worth it.

That being said the M50's have been great for tracking/DJing

I've heard people say the same thing, but as long as you know where the inaccuracies are you should be ok. You'll never get true accuracy with a headphone budget, but just being familiar with your monitoring devices is the important thing. :D
charlux

Postby Deep Theory » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:12 am

devices

that's key...my four devices which are no way professional but work for me are:

1. Monitors (KRK R6's...once again, wouldn't recommend)
2. Cans
3. Car...this one is usually the make or break
4. 10 year old HDTV. I'm not sure what the fuck is going on with this thing, half the music in my iTunes library sounds like total shit but the stuff with really high production value on major labels/divisions still sounds good.
Deep Theory

Postby charlux » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:15 am

Deep Theory wrote:devices

that's key...my four devices which are no way professional but work for me are:

1. Monitors (KRK R6's...once again, wouldn't recommend)
2. Cans
3. Car...this one is usually the make or break
4. 10 year old HDTV. I'm not sure what the fuck is going on with this thing, half the music in my iTunes library sounds like total shit but the stuff with really high production value on major labels/divisions still sounds good.

Yes, I like to check my mixes on my car speakers, they are total crap but they are good to check my bass levels on.
charlux

Postby tpc_uk » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:50 pm

yeh cans, monitors, hifi & car.

I bin anything that falls apart on my car system.
tpc_uk

Postby vrmclt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:14 pm

My guess - you're hearing how it holds up in mono. A lot of tv's are mono - my understanding is it's pretty standard in TV to make mixes very mono-compatible by mixing everything dead center, or all the way L or R so things sound pretty much the same on mono or stereo playback systems. No real spreading of the stereo image to avoid phase issues. This becomes much more obvious the older the TV show you're watching is.

Try checking your mixes in mono through your monitors, or summed into one monitor. Very important to have decent mono compatibility if you think you might ever be played in a club.
"Never easy, but never complicated."
vrmclt

Postby vrmclt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Deep Theory wrote: If I had a redo I'd get Sennheisers. Like 25-50 bucks more but so, so worth it.

Enjoying my Sennheiser HD 280s very much!

Grado SR80s are pretty great for mixing too, terrible for tracking (open back headphones - sound better, as much bleed as the sound of playing back on laptop speakers)
"Never easy, but never complicated."
vrmclt

Postby roots » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:06 am

charlux wrote:I've been using Krk KNS8400 for sometime now. Flat sound, very comfortable. Also Krk makes a cheaper model, the KNS6400, I haven't actually heard these, so no comment. Also, you might hear about the AKG k240's...don't, just don't. I've been through 3 pairs, they sound good but they are delicate little snowflakes, and trust me, I am very careful with headphones.

The KNS6400' are good but the 8400's are a lot better in my opinion
Very good sound for a reasonable price!
roots

Return to Production