Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Need help with rimshot

Need help with rimshot

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Need help with rimshot

Postby Deep Theory » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:52 am

Sup FGF

I need help with a particular type of rimshot sound. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get something at least in the ballpark with this:

http://youtu.be/s2AlJD_vDAY

https://soundcloud.com/user6406848-1/dale-howard-the-rhythm

Hear it beginning around 00:37...I have a good clap from a Roland kit, but I can't find a rimshot with that same tone or character...not close enough. Anyone know which drum machines it might be in? Checked most of the Roland ones already FYI and no dice. Thanks!
Deep Theory

Re: Need help with rimshot

Postby matthewwhittle » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:16 am

Sounds to me like the rim shot has been made by cutting down and pitching the snare. there's some nice gritty snares in this that you can combine with claps and if you change the pitch and make them snappy they make nice rim shots.
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/fre ... -217833/40
As for the particular rim shot in the song I don't what it's from if it's from a drum machine.
matthewwhittle

Postby Deep Theory » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:27 am

I swear I've heard that exact hit before
Deep Theory

Postby Whyrez » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Yes, it's a pitched down rimshot... Probably using a slightly gnarly way of pitching, something old school which really sucked the quality out of it and gave it that sort of strangely warm digital feeling.

It's a fucking rimshot though man, one less than a second sound in a nearly 8 minute track, why do you need to replicate it to sound like that?

Or, let me put it into another perspective which is slightly more techincal... That particular sound might be phasing with other elements of sound within that track, so that sound will ONLY sound like that sound in THAT track... Which is why you can't replicate it exactly.

Make shit that sounds right for the track that you're making - it's that simple. If you want that vibe, fuck with the tools and knowledge you have to make that vibe... It doesn't need to be exact. People will feel the overall vibe, not that little one hit. And if you get all of those little one hits wrong and it doesn't have the vibe you intend it, congratulations you made a new vibe and will earn upmost respect. 8-)
Whyrez

Postby Deep Theory » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:00 am

Thanks Dad, haha

But really, looking beyond the lecture you just gave me that is some sound advice. For a beginner. I did start this thread wondering about that particular sound because I recognize it as a hit I've heard in a pack before that's more or less dry. I guess you guys haven't heard it before?

I got rimshots for days... I'm pretty sure the sample Dale uses in this is the front end of an infamous snare...possibly a rimshot. Or maybe you guys are right theres just a shit ton of sample rate reduction, resampling, etc.

Its just that THWACK....are you guys hearing bottom weight? Really I challenge everyone contributing to this thread to try and get close to that snare and/or rimshot in the track. For the sake of upping your sound design skills.

I'd rather be forming a rimshot to a track, not forming a track around a rimshot. So yeah, I'm not trying to ignore the rest of Dale's production. I JUST NEED THAT THWAK
Deep Theory

Postby Whyrez » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:32 pm

Deep Theory wrote:I JUST NEED THAT THWAK

Distortion, excitement, enveloping the attack and boost and cutting EQ in the right frequencies (boosts a bit of 60 Hz, bit of 100 Hz, bit of 200 Hz, bit of the slap at around 1 kHz - 2 Khz and a bit of sparkle on the highs around 8 Khz, cut in the gaps - obviously stick the slope on a high gain to search through the frequencies for which frequencies peak the transients you require), compress with high attack and fairly high release should be a good starting point. Resample and mix according to track.

Interestingly, sounds with a 'w' when using onomatopoeia I would imagine having some sort of reversed audio in the wave to produce the 'sucking'... I wonder if maybe there's a tad of that?
Whyrez

Postby Whyrez » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:58 pm

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6voaw2

Give that a go in the mix.

(I can't believe I just resampled a rim about 10 times lol. It started off as 2 different velocities of the same snare - one with quite a lot of rim and the other with a bit of body, then I layered a 'scratchy' shaker over the top. Pitch shifted up and down about 4 times on a classic sampling algorithm and the rest was as I explained above. I did sample a bit of the reversed sample onto the front of the sample to give it a little bit of 'suck', might be a good idea to program it so that the transient is bang on the grid or as your swing requires).
Whyrez

Postby Deep Theory » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:42 am

@Whyrez:

Loved the post man! Thanks for taking the time.

I can't believe I just resampled a rim about 10 times lol

Yeah, man! I was not kidding. I am by no means a complete noob, I can tell you're not either. This is just a deceptively complex sound to get close to. Your attempt has inspired me to post some of my own. I'll back back soon with my most recent tries.
Deep Theory

Return to Production