Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Convolution Reverbs

Convolution Reverbs

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Convolution Reverbs

Postby vrmclt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:06 am

Hi all,
Just joined the forum. Excited to contribute and learn!

So I've been playing with convolution reverbs...

-skip below if you're unfamiliar with convolution-

First, I want to point people to this (free!) resource I found for impulses of fancy hardware reverb units (Lexican, Eventide, etc.) that you'd find in a lot of pro studios. Load these up into Space Designer or you're convolution reverb of choice and enjoy! The Eventide H3000 has some cool crazy modulated reverbs that some might find very useful for spacy music :mrgreen:
http://rhythminmind.net/STN/?page_id=4188
Do you have any other sources of free or particularly interesting impulse responses?

Lastly, I've heard of other cool, and more out-there, uses for convolution reverbs that rely on the idea of loading samples in as the impulse response (since impulse responses are really just audio files, anything can be used!). Anyone having any luck with this - rhythmic samples, vocal samples, what? I've heard of things like using an acoustic bass and convoluting that with an electric bass to get an e.bass with an organic tail, etc... but never had too much luck myself.
I've had great luck using drum and percussion loops as the sidechain input for vocoders to make rhythmic synths so I see how this could work. I just haven't quite figured out a good application yet.

for those unfamiliar - convolution is a mathematical operation on two different functions to produce a third function that is a modified version of one of the original functions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution

In audio, the typical application is to send an "impulse" (a sound that is very short in the time domain, and broad in the frequency range) into a room or piece of gear, and capture the tail or "impulse response." This creates a function of the space or equipment's 'color' (can't think of a better word here). When this broad-frequency-range material is convoluted with another sound, you end up with a pretty accurate representation of what the sound would sound like in that environment.
This is used a lot for reverbs, as you can create a pretty accurate representation of what a sound would do when exciting certain spaces most people don't have access to (i.e. concert halls). It's also used a lot in analog modeling and saturation plugins.

You can also hear another basic explanation of impulses and convolution in this video I found on YouTube (IMO, wrongly implying that convolution is only used to create true representations of acoustical spaces, although it is quite good at this) - starting around 0:45 to 2:45.

-quick overview - feel free to correct me or elaborate if i'm off-base anywhere
"Never easy, but never complicated."
vrmclt

Re: Convolution Reverbs

Postby charlux » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:11 am

Thank you so much for posting these! Ive been getting dreadfully bored of all my reverb vsts and these sound better than any of them.
Here are some more I found, Some dub style spring reverbs, not good to use as your main reverb, but good for adding character before you add your primary reverb. (they are quite dirty)
http://www.dubbhism.com/2008/10/free-do ... tubby.html
And some impulses from the roland space echo, turns out you can do this for delay also. Sample for 25 BPM through 200.
http://www.dubbhism.com/2009/04/re-201- ... pulse.html
charlux

Postby vrmclt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:15 am

Sweet! Glad you like 'em. I was pretty bored with my verbs till I found these too!

Any that you're particularly enjoying?

I've been having pretty great luck with the impulses from the Lexicon 480L for my main, "normal" verbs (plates, halls - though i've been mixing an indie-pop album recently).
Occasionally the Eventide H3000 impulses for a really strange reverb or when I'm trying to use reverb as an instrument rather than an effect

I haven't been able to really spend time with the others so I'd love to hear what people like and what uses they find for them.

Great find with the spring verbs! Haven't found any software spring verbs I really like yet.
The delay is a great idea, too. Never thought of that! You could also try some very slight (maybe, +/- 10 or 20 cents at the most) pitch shifting, randomly applied but slowly changing, on only the delay. This could help nail that tape-echo sound even better. Then you could run it through the spring verb if you wanted (like on the RE-201). I fixed a broken RE-150 that I call my own :D but I'm definitely gonna put these spring impulses after it to get that 201 sound.
"Never easy, but never complicated."
vrmclt

Postby Whyrez » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 am

vrmclt wrote:-quick overview - feel free to correct me or elaborate if i'm off-base anywhere

You didn't post the URL for the video you mentioned ;) :lol:
Whyrez

Postby Whyrez » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:44 am

I downloaded a shit load of convolution impulses a couple of years back and used them for a couple of tracks (mainly the Lexicons) but unfortunately never found them to produce as much of a quality result as I'd have liked... :| So now I'm just going to save up and get an official Lexicon plug, you can't beat Lexicon for 'professional' sounding reverbs IMO.
Whyrez

Return to Production