Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Where do I start?

Where do I start?

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Where do I start?

Postby Visual Vibrations » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:22 am

Hello,

I've wanted to start producing for a long time and my weapon of choice is Logic Pro X.
I don't really know where to start or what to do, messing around seems to be helpful and interesting but how do you learn to use Synths, add reverbs and other stuff in Logic Pro X? I used to know the basics of Ableton (The very basics) and I loved it. But I decided to go for the new logic because it appeals more to me.
Could anyone guide me trough a couple of tutorials that have to do with learning the program and in the end producing my own first full track?
Visual Vibrations

Re: Where do I start?

Postby blnd! » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:58 pm

Visual Vibrations wrote:Hello,

I've wanted to start producing for a long time and my weapon of choice is Logic Pro X.
I don't really know where to start or what to do, messing around seems to be helpful and interesting but how do you learn to use Synths, add reverbs and other stuff in Logic Pro X? I used to know the basics of Ableton (The very basics) and I loved it. But I decided to go for the new logic because it appeals more to me.
Could anyone guide me trough a couple of tutorials that have to do with learning the program and in the end producing my own first full track?

Just keep messing around with Logic and you'll figure it out. Or take the shortcut and watch video tutorials.
also:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9359&p=36745#p36745
blnd!

Postby vrmclt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 am

When I first started producing, I would make tracks with a focus on improving one or two skills at a time so I wouldn't get overwhelmed trying to make my tracks sound professional from the get-go.

I would make myself producing homework assignments by listening to artists I like and picking something out I didn't know how to do, then figure it out by experimentation and research (forums/youtube tuts/etc). I'd make a full track but not worry about anything other than the "goal" too much.

Examples... try to make a certain kind of beat, practice making certain kinds of basslines, practice making tracks with interesting transitions, practice arranging drums and bass to complement one another, etc etc.

Also, experiment with several ways to do the same thing - often you'll learn a lot along the way you didn't expect.

After doing this for a bit, you realize you can start to put all this together subconsciously.

Learn at least the basics of music theory (scales, time signatures and rhythms, circle of fifths, chord substitutions. all the basics of harmony and counterpoint) if you don't know it. Then, forget most of it most of the time. Use it when you're stuck.

Also, don't worry too much about the tool. Logic Pro X, Logic Pro 9, Ableton, analog console, reel to reel, 4-track tape recorder, you get the point. - they all have slightly different approaches and workflows, but the underlying concepts of acoustics, digital-, and analog-audio don't change.
"Never easy, but never complicated."
vrmclt

Postby matthewwhittle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:55 am

Limitations are good for learning too. Instead of having the a whole suite of VSTis, try just picking out a set of drum samples and maybe one or two synths for the track. Not a logic specific tip but something i've found helpful.
matthewwhittle

Return to Production