Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Beginner Help Please

Beginner Help Please

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Beginner Help Please

Postby Artphy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:50 pm

Hello, my name is Arthur and I'm from the UK.

I've been messing about in FL. Studio 11 for the best part of two months, and have been listening to all genres of EDM since I was 12. But now I have been listening to loads of Garage and bedroom beats like Kode 9, Spaceape, Burial, Four Tet, Volor Flex, Mount Kimbie, Shlohmo, Massive Attack, James Blake and the list goes on..(discovering producers everyday) and since my brother has started producing some house tracks I have decided that I want to make some of my own.
I know some of the basics and have done a bit of theory work, but I have little to no musical background; and you can just assume that I am a complete noob. I have install both Massive and Kontakt after being recommend by my brother but that's it as fair as my plugin arsenal goes.

I'm looking for some help into how I can get started into making some garage tracks although I'm not trying to limit myself to one genre. I wanna try and make some nice dark tunes alike of Burial and Kode 9 but obviously I wont be copying and I'll try and add my own influence and such. I'm only 14 now and don't have too much time to produce but I want to know a lot more by the time I'm 16 so I can try and turn this into a career. I am very determined because I think this is the only career path I'm really interested into pursuing.

(I have some decent speakers but I'm thinking of ordering some Audio Technika M50's for producing.)

Any help/advice will be appreciated, thank you.
Artphy

Re: Beginner Help Please

Postby blnd! » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi Arthur,
i'd say the first step is to know the software you using, don't matter if it's FL or Logic or Reason or Ableton. When i started making music we didn't had internet in every household and i didn't had any manuals with the DAW so i spent a lot of time trying to understand how the software works. It is so much easier now, you have heaps a tutorials online, complete step by step YouTube videos, so you don't have to resort to the trial and error method of learning. I definitely wouldn't concern myself with Kontakt or Massive before i know more about my DAW. One could argue that music theory can be very helpful, others might say that it will limit you, but i think it depends on what kind of music you want to write. What i mean is you don't have to know it to be able to write music, but it can help you. Regardless of how deep you want to dive into music theory you should consider learning a bit about acoustics and digital audio. Never hurts to know the material you are working with.

basic music theory:
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons
also:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5845
bit more advanced stuff:
http://audio.tutsplus.com/sessions/music-theory/

I've read only some of the music theory stuff on http://audio.tutsplus.com/ but it seems there are heaps a tutorials for Ableton, FL, Pro Tools, Logic, etc.
There are few music related courses on Coursera too:
https://www.coursera.org/course/songwriting
https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction
https://www.coursera.org/course/musictech
blnd!

Postby Artphy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:21 am

Thank you, I'll be reading this and listening to your beats. ;)
Artphy

Postby matthewwhittle » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:05 pm

The key to getting that organic sound like burial is to avoid quantising things. Keep drum midi notes swung off the grid and program velocities differently to give it a human feel. You have to experiment with this to get the sound you want. I usually tend keep my main kicks, snares and off beat hats on grid and swing everything else as much as i can get away with. Another good technique is to look for interesting samples. Check out Bonobo's latest album 'The North Borders' for inspiration on this, there's loads of nice organic 2 step tracks on there.

This is also a pretty good tutorial on making 2 step.
matthewwhittle

Postby Artphy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks for the tips, and I love Bonobo as well. :)
Artphy

Postby matthewwhittle » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:43 am

No worries. Yeah bonobo is sick. His latest album is one of my favourite albums ever produced.
matthewwhittle

Postby eenzo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:48 am

I would concur with what others have said; ie learning your software of choice inside out should be the first thing you do. However, I would take issue with the view that in our internet-age world it is automatically easier to learn stuff, like how to use a DAW. In my experience, it is not so; information overload is just as much an obstacle to learning as information underload (is that even english? :lol: ) I know when I was learning Ableton I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information on the web about it. Anyway, I recommend this book as a starting point:

http://www.amazon.com/FL-Studio-Power-C ... 1598639919

Don't have direct experience with this book specifically, but I learned Ableton with the Ableton version in this line of books. Don't know if it's up to date (published in 2010) but I also don't know if there have been significant enough changes in FL studio since then to justify a new edition. Fairly certain that the basics are all there.

Good luck!

Luigi
some cool garage-y vibez
http://soundcloud.com/birdrun/timbr
new remix: (warning: may or may not blow your sub)
http://soundcloud.com/birdrun/palomafaithremix

dude, house and garage are sooooo played out. I make apartment
eenzo

Return to Production