Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - swing and skip meta-masterclass

swing and skip meta-masterclass

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Re: swing and skip meta-masterclass

Postby dyp » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:53 am

Awesome read!!
I've been struggling with a little bit of 'writer's block' recently and this thread has totally been an inspiration boost, Cheers!!
dyp

Postby qwaycee » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:07 pm

the arps on the hats/percs thing is such a gem piece of advice!
8-)
qwaycee

Postby Ldizzy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:09 am

wow great thread!!!!

for my part... using short sounds and deep snares helps me...

and a subtle reverb on sum sounds might also help gel things together.. even if it sounds counterproductive for skippy beats

apprehending rythmic ideas in a more ''macro'' approach helps me loads too... what i mean by that is that the whole hat line against the whole kick line is as important as the kick vs the snare within a beat... (think burial gaslight)

hope that makes sense..
Ldizzy

Postby Tradesman » Wed May 11, 2011 7:07 pm

nice thread! :D
SOUNDCLOUD.COM/MUVEMNT
Tradesman

Postby brookwise » Thu May 26, 2011 12:53 am

Some great ideas in here. :idea:
The thing that I find can add some subtle sonic movement to the hats aside from shuffle/swing/pitch is an automated filter sweep or ring modulator. Try syncopating it rhythmically to the bpm yet still constrict it to a specific number of bars so that no two hats will ever sound the same within a two/four/eight bar pattern.
brookwise

Postby Bhava » Fri May 27, 2011 7:29 pm

something ive been experamenting with lately is portmento ontop of pitched hats to get them sounding a little fatter

once your hats are finished, make a copy and put it over the top but this time with a little portmento, bus the two together add some conpression and
play around :D
Bhava

Postby brookwise » Mon May 30, 2011 1:28 am

Bhava wrote:something ive been experamenting with lately is portmento ontop of pitched hats to get them sounding a little fatter

once your hats are finished, make a copy and put it over the top but this time with a little portmento, bus the two together add some conpression and
play around :D

Bang!
brookwise

Postby Bhava » Mon May 30, 2011 5:25 am

daNker Shanker. its my one and only original tip so i figured id share it :mrgreen:
Bhava

Postby gage » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:03 am

Sick read, a lot of help as well, I've always been lazy about putting my samples into a sampler. Silly me. Thanks for sharing tips everyone!
boom clap click click boom clap cowbell
gage

Postby nowaysj » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:47 am

This art still eludes me.
nowaysj

Postby dtbrock666 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:04 pm

im liking this thread, i think everyone has a different take on how swing is done, i use ableton and quantize to 16/t with 75% (humanization i think it is, i dunno but thats what ive come up with by camparing my beats to some of my favourite oldschool 2step) el-b once said my swing was off but that was when i was using a different quantize setting, ive shown him tunes since and he didnt mention anything about the swing so i think im safe haha :lol:
dtbrock666

Postby iamsaitam » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Very nice thread. Full of priceless knowledge. And kudos to Blackdown for his blogpost that sums it up greatly.

Considering the topic, I'm a Ableton Live user and I've used grooves before, although for garage stuff, I can't seem to be able to nail it. I've got some "adapted" logic grooves and tr808 ones that someone extracted, but I guess I'm not really using correctly. Should I have the quantize and timing at 100% ? How would I recreate MJ Cole's advice:"Having said that I have used many different grooves - 16T on Cubase is where the Garage started for me. Now, being a Logic User, I go for the swing %age - 66% being triplets (16t's)." , in Ableton Live?

I've been doing them by hand, with nice results, but the doubt above, would prove useful, for me to analyse the midi notes placement after the groove is applied.

Also, I don't seem to quiet understand well enough, but using saturation on the hats, seems to make them work better together.
iamsaitam

swing and skip meta-masterclass

Postby badhabitmusic » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:33 am

I find the notator groove presets in Ableton very useful. 16d an 16e work well
badhabitmusic

Postby blnd! » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:28 pm

badhabitmusic wrote:I find the notator groove presets in Ableton very useful. 16d an 16e work well

i've never used any grooves, i didn't even know anything about it quite recently, but i prefer do it manually anyway (ctrl+4 and nudging the samples one by one)
blnd!

Postby MKS » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:32 pm

This thread is still legendary.
MKS

Previous

Return to Production