Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - swing and skip meta-masterclass

swing and skip meta-masterclass

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Re: swing and skip meta-masterclass

Postby Cairo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:31 am

Thanks for bumping this, great stuff in here!

Starting point for me is always velocity, you can give straight 16ths groove just by adjusting velocity, also it adds more movement to the track. From then its all in the ableton 8 groove engine, that thing is godly :twisted:

AIM: CairoDub
Cairo

Postby Ohgee » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:08 am

I use Impulse in ableton triggered by an electribe and messing with the stretch and start mods have been working lateley to get a different sound. I'm starting to use half sampled hits froms my records and one shots samples. Starting to realize its all about sample choice and modulation more than placements imo.
Ohgee

Postby thechemist » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Fantastic thread, thanks for the great read guys.

I tend to do everything by hand in terms of placement as I'm kind of new to the groove engines etc in Ableton.

I think it's all in experimentation, just try out different hat placements, different velocities as people have said before, listening to garage a LOT helps too, you really need a clear understanding of what you want the groove to sound like, also different hats, I tend to use 3 different hats in a garage tune and maybe a shaker or cabasa for an extra shuffle. Also personally I prefer making my hat rhythm first with just a rim or clap where I want them and work around those

Thanks to all the contributors, some of you guys should be charging for the knowledge ;)
thechemist

Postby cyphr » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Fantastic tips, thanks very much for the knowledge. New round these parts but loving the fresh sound.
"If Elvis were alive today, I think he'd really understand happy hardcore."
John Peel
cyphr

Postby destroyrebuild » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 am

huge huge thread. this is one i will be reading and re reading for awhile being that ive just started trying my hand at production. thx for all the advice.

-dwel.
destroyrebuild

Postby inna » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:20 pm

excellent thread! a lot of tips.. :D
inna

Postby Bolsty » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:15 pm

alright folks, i'm having real trouble trying to get a simple garage beat going. I've made hip hop and dubstep without too much trouble but garage is doing my head in.

I'm using reason and most of the examples i find are in FL, the drum sequencer i can't tell what the go is with the steps, totally lost. Made what i thought was a garage beat but doesn't sound quite right as i had the snares on 3 so it was sort of a 2-steppy dubstep beat really.

looking for the basics of basics, any help would be great :)
Bolsty

Postby Ohgee » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Have you read the entire thread? If so I suggest reading it multiple times. If you still can't get a beat you are happy with possibly post an audio example. As far as not knowing how to use the software you are using, the manual and youtube can be a great resource. It really is about practicing though, there is not easy way to do it.
Ohgee

Postby Bolsty » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:50 pm

yeh i read through it and then started to get a bit lost. I think the problem i'm trying to figure out is, because i usually write in my notes into the bars instead of using the pattern sequencer i get a bit confused.

In terms of, 2nd 4th 6th 8th etc.. is that reffering to out of one bar.. ie looking at the bars in 1/16?

Heres what i was walking about. Did all the hits by ears and then figured it was wrong, the tempo of the drums seems to pick up at points because some hits aren't in between the brackets. Problem one for starters i think is that the snare is on 3, so in a sense its more of a 2-steppy dubstep beat kinda? totally lost..

tempos 134 on this version from memory but i've changed it a lot since so can't quite remeber
http://soundcloud.com/bolsty/steppin

cheers for the help.
Bolsty

Postby gremino » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Try to put your snare in 2nd and 4th to make it uptempo rhythm. Beat you posted is halfstep rhythm - tho nothing stops you to make halfstep FG if it just has the swing and garage vibe!
gremino

Postby Bolsty » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:33 pm

alright cheers for the help, i can identify the sequence of hits by ear but it doesn't seem to translate so well to working out where they fit when writing them. :)
Bolsty

Postby Ohgee » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:23 pm

I know you say you like to write in or draw the notes but something that has worked for me is too....

Loop a beat you like and while listening to it, tap out the beat on a drum pad that is triggering midi notes. You can then record your MIDI tapped beat and edit the midi via adding swing or by adjusting the notes.
Ohgee

Postby The Gentlemen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:30 am

obviously there is no rule book to swing (except the official one for purchase, I believe you can ask Mr. Price for a copy ;)
here's a fairly simple 1 bar beat pattern I'm working on that might help give you some ideas

the view here is 16th notes
things to note and some personal preferences include strong hats on 3/7/11/15, kick on 1 and 9. any percussion and other hats are all swung around the usual placement of a 4/4 beat however sounds best for a given song.
a big part of this isn't necessarily the placement, but also the length and pitch of drum hits, especially how long of a tail each sound leaves can really affect swing.

far from comprehensive here, but I hope this helps.
Last edited by The Gentlemen on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gentlemen

Postby Simple Things » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:59 pm

Just to say a massive thanks to everyone posting tips, my beats have been lacking and this thread is helping them loads :D
Simple Things

Postby Bolsty » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:44 am

thanks for all the help
Bolsty

PreviousNext

Return to Production