Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Writer's Block

Writer's Block

Future Garage Music Discussion, Debate, Appreciation etc..

Writer's Block

Postby amisane » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:23 pm

Inspired by Submerse saying on facebook the other day he was suffering writer's block, I thought we could share things here that can help remove that blockage.

I'll go first - this is something which has inspired me to make some cool tunes in the past, or has helped me when I've been working on a tune and felt it going a bit stale:

Oblique Strategies
http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/bria ... lique.html

This was a deck of cards developed by Brian Eno with random things on them to make you think about what you're doing in a different way. Give it a go!
amisane

Re: Writer's Block

Postby anexpresso » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:23 am

my advice is to if you smoke weed just do that, get some new influences and just kickback then comeback when you feel your writers block is done and youre good to go. our brains need rest every once and awhile right? ;)
anexpresso

Postby SMW » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:40 am

my block was caused by making to many tunes at once which meant they all kinda merged together n sounded the same haha. so i deleted all the little bits n just left the beats. ignored music for a bit did some djing instead and then im starting to write stuff again!
SMW

Postby T:M » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:50 pm

^ I recommend the break from producing to DJ for a bit. It can sometimes lead to new ideas, like you will be playing think "Oh, I know what would sound really cool to mix in after this!" You know exactly what you would want to hear so you can go and create it!
T:M

Postby Cairo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:54 pm

I get a block at least once a fortnight, its sucks, but i just smack my head against the keyboard until I start having delusions of grandeur and something usually comes.

AIM: CairoDub
Cairo

Postby pledge » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:04 pm

If i cant come up with anything original ,i normally look for a remix to do. like last week i tried out a remix of Rick James- Superfreak FFS (not FG). was a laugh. Im rick James bitch enjoy yourself ha ha.
pledge

Postby Rob_Submerse » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:23 pm

Haha! i thought i was out of it. i made a track and spent 7 hours on it. then after it was done i really didnt like it at all...
Twitter: @Submerse
Rob_Submerse

Postby anexpresso » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Rob_Submerse wrote:Haha! i thought i was out of it. i made a track and spent 7 hours on it. then after it was done i really didnt like it at all...

thats just the worst :cry:
anexpresso

Postby SMW » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:45 pm

i can only seem to make like 30 second loops then i never know where to progres to aha
SMW

Postby Whyrez » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Rob_Submerse wrote:Haha! i thought i was out of it. i made a track and spent 7 hours on it. then after it was done i really didnt like it at all...

It's not all about you, you know mate ;)

Get it out! You liked it for 7 hours so I'm sure others will like it for around 4 minutes lol
Whyrez

Postby MileZ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:44 am

Dont stress. Trying to 'get the creativity flowing again' usually doesnt work for me. What works is actually doing nothing. After some time (might take weeks) I always get this itchy 'i-need-to-create-something-right-now' feeling and next thing you know; banggg ur working on a track again!
MileZ

Postby DFENDR » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm resurecting this thread for a number of reasons. I've been having writer's block for about a month or so now. I don't feel inspired to finish a tune, or begin a new one. In the past working a remix (bootleg or official) has helped, I think the problem was overcoming the initial anxiety that can come from worrying about creating something new (this is sometimes a great challenge, or an impossible obstacle, depends how I feel).

But that hasn't worked for me lately. So, I'm writing the things I've always suggested others to do when they're feeling a lack of creativity or motivation in hopes that in writing them down I will think about them and do them, but also to inspire others who may have ideas about how to overcome writer's block. Or simply to help someone who might be feeling the same way.

My suggestions can really be summed up into one sentence:
Always do something, never do nothing.

This can literally mean anything. From writing a new track to listening to tracks that you really like (really listening, trying to break down in your mind how the artist made them). Sometimes I'll bring a track into Live that has a pad I really want to recreate, or a drum pat that I find pleasing. I'll spend an hour or whatever trying to make that sound or drum pattern without an intention of doing anything with it. Often times it turns into nothing, sometimes it turns into a break, beat or preset that I save. And it even turns into a tune sometimes (admittedly not often though).

Or, if you can't bring yourself to write, organize your samples. Listen to folders of things you might not normally, browse FreeSound, YouTube or whatever other site you visit for samples (or, better yet, have a sample recording session). No matter what you decide to do, set aside a piece of your day (an couple of hours, or half an hour, it's up to you) to just work on music at all. Making music takes practice, as everyone here can attest to, and the more you do it the better you'll get at it!

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I've been doing a terrible job of following these myself lately, but here's to hoping I can get back into it!

Cheers all!
Facebook / Soundcloud / Twitter

DFENDR - "Capture" (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dfendr/capture-original-mix
Out now on CK Division.
Buy it now on: iTunes || Beatport
DFENDR

Postby Whyrez » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Watched this a couple of days ago, weird shit :| couldn't really get the gist of it...

Whyrez

Postby Whyrez » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:01 pm

DFENDR wrote:I think the problem was overcoming the initial anxiety that can come from worrying about creating something new (this is sometimes a great challenge, or an impossible obstacle, depends how I feel).

Definitely familiar with this feeling. I generally found whenever I went back to the sort of sound I'd been making a lot of it was very easy to create a track, but I wouldn't feel creatively satisfied because I didn't feel like I'd put my creative brain through any challenge and just doing what comes naturally. Although it's nice to be able to make tracks without even thinking about it or stretching my imagination it just doesn't feed the soul the way something really challenging and new does.

Always do something, never do nothing.

True that.

I'm finding at the moment a lot of my blocks are coming from lifestyle stuff rather than musical. I know the two come hand in hand but until recently I've always been able to vent my lack of music making negative energy into music making, lately though where I'm not at the workstation as much as I'd like to be, when I do find time to make music I find I don't really know where to start. It's definitely a big mental thing because once I'm in the game I'm happy and working but I feel 'away from music' because I'm not spending enough time on it to class it as a general percentage of my life anymore. Music's a bitch, seems for me she requires the majority of my attention or she plays up. I have other things that have to be done though, although I love music to bits and will always have a lot of time for her, she's got to learn how to live with me in the times when I can't provide her my 100% dedication.
Whyrez

Next

Return to Future Garage