Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Writer's Block

Writer's Block

Future Garage Music Discussion, Debate, Appreciation etc..

Re: Writer's Block

Postby Hedley King » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:13 am

Trying to put together mixes usually inspires me- it pushes me to listen through a load of old and new records which is inspiring in itself but the mixes hardly ever get finished and recorded because I end up thinking I need a new tune or to remix one to tie the mix together better, so I go back to producing with a general idea- which usually ends up as something completely different anyway!
Hedley King

Postby DFENDR » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Hedley King wrote:Trying to put together mixes usually inspires me

Likewise, except... only sometimes. I don't know. I've got a pretty big gig coming up in about 3 weeks and I wanted to tear into the few Liva PA sets I have to build a new, fresh set for this show. I don't want to go into a lot of detail (here, on this thread) about how I play live, but basically I create a Live Set that I end up playing straight through (mixing different stems and such of course, it's not a prerecorded set and nothing's concrete), but I've only got 2 (ehh, 2.5) full sets (hour or so long) that I can play.

Anyway, I've been creating this set, and I feel good about it, getting to the end of it now, and I play it out and it's fresh, exciting, inspiring, EPICCC, and I feel good and confortable in Live again, but then I open up a new project, or some remix stems and it's just... barren all of a sudden. Nothing.

Whyrez wrote:it's nice to be able to make tracks without even thinking about it or stretching my imagination it just doesn't feed the soul the way something really challenging and new does.

Amen, gotta get that soul brotha...

Whyrez wrote:I'm finding at the moment a lot of my blocks are coming from lifestyle stuff rather than musical. I know the two come hand in hand but until recently I've always been able to vent my lack of music making negative energy into music making, lately though where I'm not at the workstation as much as I'd like to be, when I do find time to make music I find I don't really know where to start. It's definitely a big mental thing because once I'm in the game I'm happy and working but I feel 'away from music' because I'm not spending enough time on it to class it as a general percentage of my life anymore. Music's a bitch, seems for me she requires the majority of my attention or she plays up. I have other things that have to be done though, although I love music to bits and will always have a lot of time for her, she's got to learn how to live with me in the times when I can't provide her my 100% dedication.

Yah, I feel ya here. I'm getting busy (not busy) but active with other things, doing stuff that I like to do, but takes time I would have otherwised used for music. And it's silly, because I'm thinking about music, all the time. Thinking "I should be in the studio" or "I should be sampling, collabing, making artwork, etc," but instead I find myself reading, exploring, playing disc golf, or out at the bar (this is important, but my god... what a waste of valuable time).

I don't know, maybe it's the weather. I'm in Michigan, here in the US, and it has been a LONG - FUCKING - WINTER. I usually find myself bummin out around this time of the year, maybe summer will bring some inspirtation.

Incidentally, on the note of summer, I'm excited. Me and a couple buddies are creating a mobile live set-up (a folding table, small monitors, extension cords and gear in backpacks) and we're just gunna cruise the city at night with our gear and find porches, alleys or parking lots where we can plug in and play a quick half an hour / hour set for folks that are out and about.
Facebook / Soundcloud / Twitter

DFENDR - "Capture" (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dfendr/capture-original-mix
Out now on CK Division.
Buy it now on: iTunes || Beatport
DFENDR

Postby Whyrez » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:28 pm

DFENDR wrote:EPICCC

:lol:

And it's silly, because I'm thinking about music, all the time. Thinking "I should be in the studio" or "I should be sampling, collabing, making artwork, etc," but instead I find myself reading, exploring, playing disc golf, or out at the bar (this is important, but my god... what a waste of valuable time).

Yeh man, reading back I'm sort of thinking it could even be an ego thing... Because I'm [we're] not as elitist as we used to be able to be, giving 100% dedication to music, we feel a bit disappointed with ourselves for having to admit we have other things in our lives :lol:

LONG - FUCKING - WINTER.

HA!

Incidentally, on the note of summer, I'm excited. Me and a couple buddies are creating a mobile live set-up (a folding table, small monitors, extension cords and gear in backpacks) and we're just gunna cruise the city at night with our gear and find porches, alleys or parking lots where we can plug in and play a quick half an hour / hour set for folks that are out and about.

Sounds big, hidden cameras! ;)
Whyrez

Postby blnd! » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Cca two years ago i stopped making music for like 4-5 months and that was the longest break i ever had, but i never thought about it as a "writer's block", because using the word "block" would imply that there is something that can be blocked but i just felt like i don't have to write music so i didn't. Since then i'm much less productive, there is no "urge" to make a tune, i jut do it when i feel like and it don't happens that often. I can understand why it bothers others when they have a "writer's block" or whatever i just i don't think its a problem or an issue needs to be solved.
blnd!

Postby bkwsk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Making music is like writing or any other kind of art: when you're a teenager and start writing, you write 200 poems a day; you don't write, you vomit. Making music is more or less the same. While you're learning and vomiting everything you have inside you might make four tunes a week. When you make tabula rasa inside your soul, the rush stops. You say less, but everything you say is much more important. That's what I think at least.
bkwsk

Postby blnd! » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:19 pm

bkwsk wrote:You say less, but everything you say is much more important.

^story of my life

hahaha
blnd!

Postby DFENDR » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:58 pm

bkwsk wrote:When you make tabula rasa inside your soul, the rush stops. You say less, but everything you say is much more important. That's what I think at least.

You're a wise man, and I have to agree with you. I hope this happens for you a lot, but I'm going to put you up alongside the great Tom Waits, because I just read this quote from him and I think it spoke to me and what you said above.

"You have to put yourself in a trance to receive certain songs. And I start setting the trap first. It's like fishing or anything else, you have to be real quiet to catch the big ones." -Tom Waits

By the way, I finally sat down in front of a blank Ableton window and wrote a whole song. It's not great, it's not my favorite, but goddamn if I didn't pour myself into it and it's a shaker. :D
Facebook / Soundcloud / Twitter

DFENDR - "Capture" (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dfendr/capture-original-mix
Out now on CK Division.
Buy it now on: iTunes || Beatport
DFENDR

Previous

Return to Future Garage