Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - How to get a track released? advice

How to get a track released? advice

Future Garage Music Discussion, Debate, Appreciation etc..

How to get a track released? advice

Postby Ollie Macfarlane » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:22 pm

easy all, just wondering, those of you who have releases through labels, what is the best way of going about getting your tracks picked up? I've got two tunes of mine being mastered at the moment (Montpelier and Home), and would love to get them released.

Does it just come down to someone who owns a label coming across you or is there a lot of effort involved on my part sending off demos and such?

thanks in advance, Ollie. :D
(L2S/Get Flavor/Dual Signal/Seeking Blue)
http://www.soundcloud.com/olliemacfarlane
Ollie Macfarlane

Re: How to get a track released? advice

Postby Stealth Elf » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Not that I have anything signed yet myself but here's my 2cents anyway. Firstly yeah you have to do the legwork I'm afraid. Once your massive then I'm sure you get people come to you but you have to be pretty big (or lucky) for that to happen. Especially if you don't promo your music much. So yeah, look up a load of labels you think sign the same kind of tunes your making (or near enough) and send demos off to them. Remember to label them properly and have your contact email in the song title along with your artist name too so that it saves them hassle when they want to contact you. Little things like that I've heard can make the difference between a label bothering to get back to you or not.

Secondly. Any label worth it's salt will master your tunes for you, typically just stick a limiter on your master channel when you finish a tune then jack it up to listenable volume, without ruining it and send it off to labels. Then if they like what you've sent them you then go back to your project, take the limiter off and render a *clean* uncompressed wav file for the label to send to whichever mastering service they are using.
Stealth Elf

Postby Egoless » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Just send your tunes to labels you like... Most of them have email link or soundcloud (via dropbox) and most of them listen to tunes that are sent to them. Just drop them your tune/s and that's it... Very simple, if they want to release it, they will contact you, if not, they will not contact you. Simple
http://soundcloud.com/egoless/egoless-think-about-that
______

Upcoming: Rainbow dub, 2x 12" on Lo Dubs records...

Subscribe to Egoless newsletter to be the first to receive free dubs, free sample packs and info here:
http://www.mighty-vibes.org/egoless

Follow me:
http://twitter.com/egolessmusic
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EGOLESS/145839854506
Egoless

Postby blnd! » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Egoless wrote:Just send your tunes to labels you like...

yeah, i think thats the most important ting if u wanna get yr stuff released.

(ive to admit, i never sent any of my tunes to any label, but thats a slower path, i guess :))
blnd!

Postby The Gentlemen » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:37 pm

I've known a few people to get signed just because they sent their tune to a DJ and got it played. That's definitely another way that I'd suggest you try to get signed.
The Gentlemen

Postby Duncan Powell » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:09 pm

there are two ways to do it, contact labels first and hope they like what they hear, or try and hype yourself to make yourself a more interesting prospect for the labels.

my advise (not saying its right!!) to a new comer would be to seek support from djs before labels to build your name up.

If you email out promo copys to get djs supporting the tracks and your name in the playlists. If the tracks are good enough then labels will want to contact you and want to here more of your original material.

For example, i made a few bootlegs of various garage tracks, sent them to the biggest garage dj of the time and he played them, next thing i got in contact with prirate radio djs, then the labels followed on, if they come to you, then you know they want to support you properly and are intrested in your sound.

if you send it to a label without them hearing of your before, it will be harder for you, it can pay off if the music is good enough, but i think it is a bigger struggle...unless you have a contact there already!

send it to the more influencial djs who play the style of music you make, who have big followings & prime time radio shows and if they support you, your half way there.
Duncan Powell

Postby Ollie Macfarlane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:27 pm

thanks very much everyone, very good advice... :D
Ollie Macfarlane

Postby F.Rick West » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:15 am

We get quite a lot of demos, and I have sent a few demos off in my time as well….

My 2 pence….

Stuff that pisses me off with demos:

Loads of tunes – just put 3 or 4 on max, no more EVER…. If someone sends in loads, you really just cant be arsed to listen to it, whereas if you can spark attention with a couple, they will ask you for more….

Do chase them up, just not all the time (unless specifically specified by the label) – say once a fortnight

Make sure it is good…..(obvious one – don’t rush you stuff, perfect it…. one thing people don’t do enough of is revist their tunes after they have had feedback on them…. Use that feedback and actually change them, rather than make another mediocre tune….)

Make sure it is relevant to that label…. Usually by checking out what they generally release (unless, like ourselves, they are consciously trying to change direction)

Make sure there is no dynamic processing on the mixes that cant be removed – we have had this a couple of times when signing artists, they send in wicked demos that you love, but when you ask for unlimited mixes they cant get rid of it. so you are left with a tune with no headroom that is wicked, that you cant master and therefore cant release! That pisses me off…. If you are going to limit your tunes for demos, make sure you export your file BEFORE limiting it…. just limit in a wave editor or something AFTERWARDS!!!!! I cant stress that enough!

Label hoppers and label slags – I do not like getting demos from people who are on 101 net labels releasing free stuff…. It devalues your product…. If you are going to send a demo off, and are “signed” to free net labels, but do not really have a reputation, start a new persona up, you can always tell your current fans what you are doing so they don’t get confused, but A LOT of labels want exclusive deals, so they don’t waste their money on PR promoting an artist, just for the word to get out, and for people to go and download their free releases rather than get the paid one you are actually promoting! That pisses me off a lot….. In cases like that, we always ask for the artist to create a new identity…. This is of course unless you are a big artist already….

Stuff I have learnt from sending demos out

Always email first and ask for a contact name…. if they try and fob you off, with the A&R department, stand your ground and get a name, then that person is expecting it, then your demo becomes solicited, rather than un solicited. Then you get a much better chance of it being heard.

If they don’t want to sign you, but want to add your music to their publishing library, refuse….. they know your music is good, but they don’t want to invest in you, but they are happy to make money of it… this happened to me before…. With a fairly large label actually and I accepted and got screwed!

Obviously make sure it is labelled up properly….

Make sure you don’t write or act like a dick… these labels are independent and living a hand to mouth existence, they will not work with people they don’t like…. So make sure your emails are professional, remember you are trying to get into a business, you are trying to make money, labels are trying to make money, you wouldn’t swear in a job interview, so why treat sending a demo out with less repect, especially as this is something you love…. If you get a bad name, that name travels and you can pretty much become untouchable by any label…. Labels are cliquey, once you are in with one, the doors open up…. It really is a VERY small world…..

There are more points, but they are generally common sense…

Hope this helps someone….
F.Rick West

Postby kontigobeats » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:56 am

some real good info in here, nice to see people sharing their knowledge!
My experience was actually similar to what some others have posted here, getting in touch with a label you like who is putting out tracks of a similar vibe, so i would say go for it but check out all the posts in here coz theres some good info regarding ways to go about this and what to and not to do. Good luck man, you got some nice tunes, so get sending!
kontigobeats

Postby Oslek » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:54 pm

Ollie Macfarlane wrote:easy all, just wondering, those of you who have releases through labels, what is the best way of going about getting your tracks picked up? I've got two tunes of mine being mastered at the moment (Montpelier and Home), and would love to get them released.

Does it just come down to someone who owns a label coming across you or is there a lot of effort involved on my part sending off demos and such?

thanks in advance, Ollie. :D

If you're getting your tracks mastered and think they're good enough to release, basically all you have left to do is sign with a digital music distribution service and send them the tracks with a release date, these days. You can do other stuff like artwork, promotion etc but that's all optional.

Otherwise, here are some quick tips from me...

Things you shouldn't do when sending to labels:

- email a sendspace link titled 'demo' without introducing yourself and expect them to download it
- assume that because you have sent them music, they have listened to it
- take offence if they don't want to give you feedback
- take offence if they say its crap
- bulk demo mailouts
- send files they could release without your consent

Things you should do when sending to labels:

- introduce yourself
- be nice
- know some background on the label
- believe that your tracks are good enough
- be persistent
- give some background info on yourself / the project
- tag your mp3s
- make sure you spend more time writing music than emailing labels / promoting yourself / trying to get signed
Oslek

Postby Littlefoot » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:49 am

It's simple and been the same since about 1920

Make a good tune.
Reprogression

Cheap, Approachable, Bass music friendly Mastering : http://www.subsequentmastering.com
My tunes : http://www.soundcloud.com/littlefoot
Littlefoot

Postby blnd! » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:19 pm

Littlefoot wrote:It's simple and been the same since about 1920

Make a good tune.

useful :lol:

btw wat was di case before 1920?
blnd!

Postby Ollie Macfarlane » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:38 pm

no recordings before about that... :D
Ollie Macfarlane

Return to Future Garage