Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Definition - or at least an attempted one, of future garage

Definition - or at least an attempted one, of future garage

Future Garage Music Discussion, Debate, Appreciation etc..

Definition - or at least an attempted one, of future garage

Postby ninja_edit » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:32 am

These are the characteristics I have often observed in music labelled "future garage" or "post-dubstep." Obviously not all tunes follow all points, and some more consistent than others. I also don't aim to create a formula to follow, although for somebody starting to produce the style, it may be a good short cut. Other than these characteristics, it's the usual electronic dance stuff.

Frequency response: Bias toward subs and away from very highs, over all vinyl-like sound.

Structure: Reasonably consistant, not reliably break->drop for its climax.

Themes: Intimacy, or at least something emotional.

Drums: 130s, less conventional beats, sometimes 2-step, natural samples, especially wooden instruments rather than metal; a synthed kick is the exception.

Pads: More often natural sounding like strings than other styles of electronic music.
ninja_edit

Re: Definition - or at least an attempted one, of future garage

Postby ninja_edit » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Alot of these might describe garage. Maybe a simpler way of describing future garage is 'dark garage.'
ninja_edit

Postby blnd! » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Or maybe the easiest is not trying to describe it at all ;)
blnd!

Postby ninja_edit » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:24 am

How do you know future garage when you hear it?
ninja_edit

Postby blnd! » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:38 pm

ninja_edit wrote:How do you know future garage when you hear it?

maybe i don't

Whistla wrote:Future Garage is a movement not a genre, FG is just a starting point not the end destination. It’s a collection of DJs and Producers who wouldn’t fit comfortably in the UKG oeuvre or the Dubstep one. They are somewhere inbetween, and Future Garage is that collection of DJs and Producers.

http://www.whistla.com/2012/02/24/time- ... -response/
blnd!

Postby Whyrez » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Rather than get involved in the 'meh meh meh it's not about defining the genre' bullshit, I'm going to note on what I agree and disagree on regarding what you posted and elaborate where possibe :)

ninja_edit wrote:These are the characteristics I have often observed in music labelled "future garage" or "post-dubstep."

Firstly, two complete different scenes/genres quoted here... And that's just the way it is. Future Garage is an evolution of Garage, some theorise it's picking up where Pre-Dubstep left off. If you want to make FG, look to Garage for inspiration. Of course consider Dubstep & any other genre as inspiration also, that's where the 'Future' comes into Future Garage. It's not Post-Dubstep, it's Post-Garage Garage. :lol:

Post- Dubstep is made by 'Alternative Dubstep' producers, who probably would produce IDM if it was still cool with the nerdy kids, who began to take Dubstep in a completely different, more 'electronica' sort of direction. This has already stemmed out into multiple branches.
    One stem went indie-ish, such as James Blake and the like.
      Another stem went more of a 808/heavy drum sort of route which turned into another selection of stems such as Juke, Arthouse and all of the sort of Hip Hop that came around Post-Dubstep which was a lot more bass and synth heavy than previously.

Then obviously there's this Post-Dubstep House scene moving now, first led by the likes of Redlight and now moving into more like that Disclosure sound.

Frequency response: Bias toward subs and away from very highs, over all vinyl-like sound.

Personally I agree with the bass part, the vinyl thing is poppycock though... There's a lot of FG producers who focus on a digital sound! I see your point though, many are aiming for more of an analogue, old-school sound - me included.

Structure: Reasonably consistant, not reliably break->drop for its climax.

Drops are still relevant in a lot of tracks for sure! They're just a standard part of EDM. The part where you can dance without worrying too much about focusing on anything, even House is full of drops!

Themes: Intimacy, or at least something emotional.

All music is emotional ;) Just depends on what emotion you're talking about! FG utilises all of them, depends on the track :)

Drums: 130s, less conventional beats, sometimes 2-step, natural samples, especially wooden instruments rather than metal; a synthed kick is the exception.

Personally I feel this is your most important suggestion. Without Garage sounding drums, it's just not Garage. At the end of the day it's the way the drums work that define whether or not it is Garage and you explained them pretty well. Don't forget the swing/groove - upmost importance. Rigidity just isn't Garage.
Whyrez

Postby ninja_edit » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Thank you. With the emotion thing, I was referring more to the themes of the lyrics, rather than the music, and even then some music is more cerebral than emotional, like Dream Theter or serialism.
ninja_edit

Postby charlux » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:47 am

ninja_edit wrote:Maybe a simpler way of describing future garage is 'dark garage.'

Wouldn't quite say that, very little of the FG I hear is very dark at all. Mostly just ambient, which there seems to be a strong bias towards.
On post-dubstep, Whyrez pretty much nailed it. To me(I am by no means an expert on this particular subgenre) it seems more like they are just taking the modern definition of dubstep, but making it softer and more ambient, never really appealed to me.
Really I dont see the term Future Garage as a genre, it is a scene. Speed, Bassline, Dubstep, Grime(well, I'd like to consider grime because that is mainly what I make, but I'm sure some consider it to be in another realm)
It shouldn't be kept to any strict definition, because for FG to survive and grow, I believe there has to be a broader spectrum of sounds, not just soft and ambient, but heavy, fun, dirty, and everything in between.
charlux

Postby ninja_edit » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:16 am

I don't see the difference between a style (or genre) and a scene. What's a music scene that isn't a style of music?

It shouldn't be kept to any strict definition, because for FG to survive and grow, I believe there has to be a broader spectrum of sounds, not just soft and ambient, but heavy, fun, dirty, and everything in between.

Those sounds can still exist even if it's called something else. You seen to be saying a wider range of music should be called the same thing.
ninja_edit

Postby charlux » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:05 pm

ninja_edit wrote:I don't see the difference between a style (or genre) and a scene. What's a music scene that isn't a style of music?

It is a style of music, it's forward thinking Garage, of all types.
ninja_edit wrote:You seen to be saying a wider range of music should be called the same thing.

No, I'm saying it should be considered in the same movement. The full spectrum of garage and it's close derivatives should be recognized. I think it's better to rally under this movement than to have every little subgenre go off and start their own. This is the vary reason, in my opinion, why FG shouldn't be considered a genre, and if it were, it would have to be vague.
charlux

Postby ninja_edit » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:47 pm

So, yes, it should be called the same thing. Why?
ninja_edit

Postby charlux » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:45 pm

ninja_edit wrote:So, yes, it should be called the same thing. Why?

...You are not understanding me.
Garage is not just the soft, cut up r&b vox sort. So unless the movement is called "Future Soft Ambient With Cutup Vocals Garage" it should include completely legitimate garage strains. Within the FG movement there should be tons of subgenres, if they all stem from Garage. Or maybe I'm completely wrong, and the FG was founded on that one single, minuscule type of garage.
charlux

Postby Whyrez » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:35 pm

charlux wrote:
ninja_edit wrote:So, yes, it should be called the same thing. Why?

...You are not understanding me.
Garage is not just the soft, cut up r&b vox sort. So unless the movement is called "Future Soft Ambient With Cutup Vocals Garage" it should include completely legitimate garage strains. Within the FG movement there should be tons of subgenres, if they all stem from Garage. Or maybe I'm completely wrong, and the FG was founded on that one single, minuscule type of garage.

Nah man you're right. As you were saying before there's many different derivatives of Garage:

- Speed Garage
- 4x4
- 2-Step
- Niche
- Bassline
- Ambient
- Grime

All with completely different sounds. It would be wrong to define any of them as Future Garage as Future Garage covers them all.
Whyrez

Postby Dellity » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:20 am

And i qoute Whistla, "Future Garage is giving garage a future"
(or words to that effect). IMO, as soon as you start trying to define things sonically , it starts to become boring, and already has to a certain extent.
Dellity

Postby ninja_edit » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:26 am

So you would have more fun in music if nothing was defined? It sounds more like a hassle to me. The first thing I think people would do is define some common terms.

On a different note, it is surprising to find somebody else from Western Australia. :lol:
ninja_edit

Next

Return to Future Garage